Prologue

My name is Scarlett. 

I don't know what my faction of origin really is. 

When I was only a few days old, I was left in an Amity field in the middle of a Summer night. 

A young couple found me in the morning when they were harvesting crops. They immediately took me to the leader of Amity, Johanna Reyes. She decided that I would become a member of Amity, and would be raised by the couple who found me. 

My parents always told me that I was a gift from God. That there was a reason I was left in the corn field. They explained to me that they could not have children of their own, and this was God's way of apologizing to them for their lack of infertality. I was meant for them.

They were both only eighteen when they found me. Both Amity borns. 

I didn't belong there, in the peaceful facinity of Amity. It wasn't me. I didn't know who I was, but I was certainly not Amity. It wasn't that I didn't like the faction, it's just I was sick of being secluded from the other factions. Sick of not knowing what was going on in the city at all times.

I liked the bussel of the city, the crowds of people. I liked to listen to their conversations as I passed them on my way to school. I liked to look at the buildings, even the old, destroyed ones.

But most importantly I liked the train.

I liked how it rushed above on the rails, the way it forced bursts of wind if you got too close. Watching the Dauntless jump on and off it made me entirely jealous.

So I began to venture into the woods late at night and wait for the train. 

It was just something I did for fun, something I did to get away from my thoughts.

I never imagined it would lead me to him, to my new life.