08: Short Story

Moth

"Isn't it unfair?" My best friend asked out of nowhere. We're about to ride a second bus to our hometown, exhausted, who wouldn't be?  She was seeking freedom from her family who was pushing her to pursue law instead of giving her passion a chance. As a genuine friend, I wouldn't let her experience solitude, I wanted to witness every step, every achievement she made.

"They shouldn't base it with beauty alone!" She added crossing her arms. She was really affected by the judging system of the pageant. I cannot blame her. It's her only way  to raise advocacy against body shaming. Well, we are raising the same.

"Well, that's reality." I replied. No matter how good, brilliant you are if you don't have the physical attributes then you will lose something. Body shaming indeed. If only I can change that reality.

"So that means, we who aren't physically fit would stop participating in those events? "  Every argument from her sounds like music to me.

"It also means that we only raise beautiful ladies and massacre those who aren't? " she is really brilliant that made her more attractive. I cannot help myself but to support her every decision.

" Is that what you wanted to say, huh?" She continuously thought. But my beliefs are different from her. Yes, that's a part of reality but...

"I didn't say those." I countered. "What I'm trying to say, there are sundry of platforms that we could speak your advocacies and disputes in life. This is not just the only way. "

She was about to answer but a bus suddenly stopped infront of us, asking for our destination and it happened that we have the same, way home.
She was silent the whole trip, maybe she was thinking of my appeal earlier and processing the next step she would be doing. I heard nothing from her and that's the last time I remember we have each other.

NOW, on my 28th birthday, I was facing her, untouched with emotions and unshaken by our bond. We may have different beliefs but she take my words while I was been driven by emotion.

"Leo Imperial, guilty of murder and rape."  

It's been 5 years, she held disputes in court and became a journalist who issued different articles about her beliefs in life and she was successful. While I, driven with insecurities settled below the normal. I never thought that I've inspired someone but can't help myself survive in the law. We were once a moth, but she take advantage of her weaknesses to see the best in her and I am a victim of her sister's beauty and insults.