05: Short Story

Catalyst of Issues

The commentator on the radio was ranting about the newest issue on town, Philippine ranked 1 having the largest digits on teenage pregnancy and cases of abortion. Its broadcast was the only thing that remained lively on the office.

Tired and exhausted, Kiara buried herself on her arms as she took a nap on the table. Paper works formed a mountain of problems, a source of stress. This was her passion, strength and happiness but its compelling demands led her thoughts to give up. She always shed a tear, everyday, thinking how her stories would suit the taste of her readers.

"Can't you make another story? Make it more erotic!" Her boss demanded. Gazing up, she mer again the face of an inconsiderate monster.
How could she write one when it's beyond he principles? How could she make a plot when it contradicts her freedom? "Rejected!" This was the tenth time she's been rejected because of having another theme. Her tears suddenly fell, she didn't sign up being tied on a trend and lose here essence as a writer.

"I am resigning." She muttered, wiping her eyes.

" What?" Her boss was shocked by the sudden decision.

" I've turned down a lot of opportunities just to be part of this organization." She gasped a little air before she continued. " I gave up my licence as a professional engineer to fill in a passion which my heart is longing to." She was filled with hidden emotions, unspoken thoughts that her boss didn't knew before.

"I quit." She grasped her ID and ruggedly surrender on the table.

"No one is quitting." His voice resonated on the whole room, the other writers was also intrigued about the misunderstanding. Kiara looked into his eyes with a strong degree. "Then quit." She intentionally loudened her voice so everyone on the office could hear.

"How dare you spoke those, I'm your boss!"

The other writers on the cabin stood up and come closer to them. One by one, they removed their IDs with downcast eyes.

"We write to inspire people, a way to drove lost souls and pleasure them to live but you misunderstood that concept sir, you choose to pleasure young readers and poisoned their minds with erotica and leud scenes. " She thought.

" You've inspired them to pursue lust over love, one of the catalyst why Philippine was on top of an issue again."