Overly Honest

~Kyoya’s POV~

I instantly sobered up. “I’m sorry, what?” I said, watching Zero pull away completely, his smile dropping fully from his face. “No, I won’t marry you Kyoya.” He said, sitting across from me.

I felt my heart shatter. You know that feeling when you reach the top of a really high roller coaster and you drop? That’s what I’m feeling right now in my belly. I felt like a part of me had died in that instant.

I glared at him, my fists clenched tightly. “You just said you loved me. You told me to ask!” I yelled. I was furious. Why, why would he do this to me? Why would he get me so pumped up just to shut me down?

“I do love you.” He crossed his legs. He stared at me with eyes colder than ice. I don’t think even I could get my eyes like that, so void of emotion except of smoldering hatred.

“Then why did you say no?” I asked, glaring harder at him. “If you love me, then why turn me down?!”

~Zero’s POV~

“I do love you.” I said, crossing my legs. I stared at him, completely emotionless. If he were any closer, I was sure he would hear my heart beating a million miles an hour.  I just turned down Kyoya Ootori. I turned him down. I said no. No.

He glared at me, tears gathering in his eyes. “If you love me, then why turn me down?!”

I frowned, watching him closely. “Don’t get me wrong, Kyoya. I love you. I do. You mean the world to me. But I don’t want to marry you.” I said, biting my lip. “Marriage means nothing to you. I can see that. If it did, we wouldn’t have had a fake one, right? I forgave you for that. I honestly did. But that doesn’t mean I forgot it.” I stood up, grabbing my bag I had bought downstairs.

“I love you, Kyoya Ootori. But marriage isn’t in the cards for us. Not anymore.” I smiled slightly, my insides churning as I watched the man I love crumble in front of me. I left quietly, getting into my car. As I drove, I thought of what I had just done. It wasn’t the first time I had been asked that question. I mean, it’s the first time he’s actually asked me but it’s not the first time I’ve been asked ‘if Kyoya wants to marry you for real, what would you say?’ and I’ve thought it over.

In my mind, if someone could go through the motions of getting married, created a fake bond with someone just for money then marriage isn’t for them. Marriage is something special, it binds two people together for life and that’s how I see it.

I frowned more, pulling into a small diner. I made my way inside and sat down. I should be feeling great. I should be on top of the world. I should be happy. I stood up for myself. I told him no. Yet here I am, at a diner, about to cry and eat my weight in whatever desert they have here.

I sat down and ordered a never ending buffet of chocolate cake and sake. I wasn’t there for more than five minutes before someone sat across from me.

“I’m not sure what happened, Kitten. But if you truly eat that buffet you won’t be thin anymore.” The guy said. I sighed, frowning.

“I don’t want to talk to you.” I said, digging into my first piece of cake. They stared at me, shaking their head. “You only eat cake when you’re upset. Did my cousin do something stupid?” Kuro said, leaning back in his chair.

“What do you care? You’re both pretty stupid to me.” I said, washing down the cake with sake before grabbing another piece. “Cake and liquor huh? That’s a great combination.” He laughed, staring at me.

“He already called me. That’s how I knew something happened. I’m supposed to be following you, not to make contact. But look at me, I’m sitting across from you disobeying orders and whatnot to make sure you’re okay.” He said, grabbing a glass of sake for himself. “Care to tell me why you turned him down?”

“I don’t owe you an explanation.” I spat, finishing my second piece of cake in record time. I felt like Honey, just devouring cake like a beast. He stared at me, his eyes bore into mine.

“Regardless of what you think, I know you Zero-chan. I know you a lot better than I’d like to admit. You’re at a 24 hour diner in the middle of the night eating cake and drinking sake. You would’ve either called me or one of your club friends because you’ll be drunk. Hell, you might’ve even called Kyoya and married him.” He said, smiling to himself like a detective who had just solved a case. I shook my head slightly, having another glass of sake.

“You know he’s at home crying right? Not just small cry but literally sobbing. Probably on the floor somewhere. He loves you whether you think so or not. And you turning him down really hurt him.” He said, his voice low.

“You don’t think I’m hurt? I’ve been through Hell and back for this guy. I came back to him, I fell in love with him again.  Who’s to say this isn’t another bet?! Who’s to say that when we get married he won’t change, huh!? Who’s to say that he really loves me?!” I covered my mouth instantly.

Dammit.

Remember how I said all that stuff about marriage being sacred and he ruined it or something along those lines? Well, I lied a little.

To be completely honest, I’m scared. I’m terrified.

I love Kyoya. I do. But I can’t put myself out there like that again.

~Kyoya’s POV~

“Why is he at a diner?” I asked myself quietly. “He eats cake when he’s upset and doesn’t want to talk about it.” Kuro said. “Just put it on the station when I get in there. You’ll be able to hear everything we say.” He got out the car, adjusting his jacket before going in.

After Zero left, it took a few moments to get myself together before I called up Kuro. We followed him to this run down diner where we made a quick plan in the parking lot. Not the best but I’m not thinking clearly to be honest. I mean, who would be after getting rejected.

I turned the radio on and fiddled with the stations until I could hear Kuro talking. “Care to tell me why you turned him down?” he said.

I sat quietly, listening to their conversation. “You know he’s at home crying, right?” Dear God, really? Really Kuro? Just wait until we leave here, I swear to God I’m going to kill you.

“You don’t think I’m hurt? I’ve been through Hell and back for this guy. I came back to him, I fell in love with him again.  Who’s to say this isn’t another bet?! Who’s to say that when we get married he won’t change, huh!? Who’s to say that he really loves me?!” Zero yelled causing me to freeze. He’s scared. That’s what it is. He’s scared.

I sighed softly, leaning back into my seat.

“If he didn’t love you, do you think I would be here? Do you think he would make me follow you all the way from Japan? Do you honestly think he would do any of the stuff he’s done so far if he didn’t love you? He’s spent so much money on you...” Zero cut him off.

“I don’t care about money, Kuro! You know that! I don’t care about that! I care about him. His money meant nothing then and means nothing now… Our love shouldn’t be based on how much he spent on trying to make me see how much he loves me…” he said, eating what looked like his tenth piece of cake.

He’s worse than Honey.

“Is he worth it?” Kuro asked, taking a sip from his cup. “Is he worth the pain that you might go through? Is he worth the heartbreak you might suffer? Is he worth the happiness you’ll feel from being with him?”