Rolling her eyes, she shoved the knife into his hands and began to walk away from the wall, internally scolding Frypan for leaving her with this annoying shank even if she did think him good looking.

"That's not my real name Minho." She sung back, as he jogged to catch up to the girl speeding back to the bonfire.

"Sure suits you." He simply said with a shrug. Florence stopped to appreciate the glow of the fire on Minho's skin, before he had thrown her a wink and disappeared into the crowd.

That boy.

The Gladers watched on in glee as Gally fought one of his crones in the middle of a circle, both attempting to knock one another out of the arena. It was pure stupidity, therefore perfect entertainment. But for Florence, everything was once again catching up on her.

She found herself slipping away from the crowds, and wandering towards a group of trees. Slumping down against the back of one, Florence let her eyes shut and attempted to slow her quickened breathing.

She tried to imagine being somewhere else, somewhere safe, with her family. But she couldn't remember her family. She couldn't remember anything.

And so for the first time since arriving, she let herself cry.

Soft tears rolled down her cheeks, and she muffled her sobs by putting the back of her hand over her mouth. She eventually let the sobs wrack her whole body, the emotions taking over, becoming too much for her to handle.

All she could think of was the fact someone told her she wasn't supposed to be there. Where was she supposed to be? She couldn't help but think there was a family waiting for her, friends, people who loved her, back in the world she had left behind.

Behind her, a branch broke. Instantly, Florence stopped crying. Glancing back, she wiped the tears from her face at the sight of Newt.

Her eyes were red and she could only imagine what her tearstained cheeks looked like. And then she remembered she had no idea what she really looked like.

Newt settled himself down besides the girl, a safe distance away, but close enough to comfort her. It didn't scare her, like she imagined it might. Instead, having Newt's presence beside her was reassuring.

"If you ain't scared, you ain't human." He spoke softly. Florence kept her eyes on the walls far away, her mind wanting to wander.

"That's what Alby always says. And it's true. We're all scared. We were a lot worse than you when we got here." Florence finally met his eye. His kind expression helped her relax, and she found her eyes closing again.

"I can't help but feel out of place." She admitted, before chuckling harshly. "Of course I do. I'm the only girl in a group of 60 boys."

Newt opened his mouth to respond, before closing it again. He couldn't understand her. None of them could.

Then there was a loud creak.

Florence's eyes shot open and she jolted, alert. The walls were closing. They groaned as the concrete slid across the ground at the middle of each wall, meeting like sliding doors.

"What's going on?" She murmured, hopping up and slowly approaching one of the walls. It didn't seem possible. It defied all the laws of physics, gravity, but somehow these ancient concrete walls were closing.

"They close every night, and open every morning. And that's curfew. You should be getting to your room." Newt advised, knowing that the girl must be exhausted from her confusing day.

She was, but how could she sleep? She still had so many questions, but was forbidden to ask any.

Florence let Newt guide her back to the Homestead, a hand on her back for support, as they made their way into the rickety building.