Paradise

The group sat inside the barn that night all bundled up around the fire place roasting marshmallow's and drinking hot chocolate.

"So now that you've experienced the biggest holiday event this town has to offer is there anything you guys want to know about?" Emily asked.

"That was your biggest holiday event?" Derek questioned there was maybe four hundred people in total at the festival including those hosting booths and in the pageant.

"We are not a very big town." JJ laughed as Spencer dropped his marshmallow off of his stick and it landed on the wooden floor.

"So Emily? How did you end up here living with JJ and all." Elle wondered.

"The start of grade nine my family moved out here for some peace and quiet. JJ and I met in advanced English class and we just clicked, we spent weekends sleeping over, Mike took us camping when ever he was home and we were set for life I never wanted to leave. I didn't fit in here at all but that's what made it better my best friend was the most popular girl in this town and I never had to prove myself to anyone. But a few months later my mom packed us up and was ready to move. So JJ and I begged, pleaded and nearly blackmailed our parents until I was allowed to stay. Four years later and we still live together."

Everyone was smiling, these two stuck it out for what they really wanted.

"We made a pact that if we weren't married at forty we would run away and join a lesbian cult." JJ giggled.

The room errupted in laughter almost believing the girls would really do that.

"I'm in favour of that one." Said Elle.

"Me too." Agreed Penelope.

A few minutes later when their laughter subsided the barn door flew open to reveal Mark holding full grocery bags.

"Kitchens in the house genius." Emily mocked her adopted brother.

"I know Magenta" Mark refered to Emily using their old nicknames from 'Rocky horror picture show' Emily was Magenta while Mark was Rocky. "I'm hiding mom and Lisa are talking about baby names and food cravings, so I figured I let you guys get first go at snacks."

Morgan jumped from his seat and began to dig through the food bags pulling out chips, chocolate, amongst other things.

"Thanks man!" Derek laughed and attempted to shake the older man's hand.

The next morning JJ awoke fairly early, she let everyone else sleep soundly in their sleeping bags as she set out to trudge through the mountain of snow between the barn and her home. When she entered the back door to the kitchen her mom was already awake drinking coffee and reading the morning paper.

"Morning mom."

"Good morning honey, do you want some oatmeal or eggs?"

"I'm alright I'll just make some hot chocolate." JJ took out a small pot, filled it with milk and placed it on the heated burner.

"So is that Spencer fella your boyfriend?" Sandra asked unexpectedly shocking JJ.

"Yeah he is... Since the start of the semester." JJ blushed deep red as he poured the cocoa powder into the pot.

"Nice boy, and very smart as well. Emily is dating Aaron right? And Penelope and Derek are together I assume?"

"Emily and Aaron are dating as for Derek and Pen they have their own thing going on."

Sandra just nodded her head and went back to reading the paper. JJ had noticed how alone her mother had looked recently, with all the children gone and no husband to keep her company. She really hoped having a grandchild in the near future from Mark and Lisa would made things better for her.

JJ took the seat in front of her mother holding her hot chocolate to her lips.

"Have you considered selling the barn?" The young blonde suggested.

Sandra sighed deeply, she knew JJ would be the one to ask about the barn. Mark and Emily were never ones to focus on the future they lived their lives in the moment while JJ was always concerned on how it affected everyone in the long run.

"I have but no one will buy it dear, you build homes in this town not sell them. Mark and Lisa can have it once I'm gone and you get their house. It's always been the plan."

It was JJ's turn to sigh her mother was never a fan of her choice to leave and move to a big city. Sandra still believes JJ will come home, become a school teacher, marry Mateo Cruz and have a house full of kids.

But in all honesty JJ wanted to be a profiler, find a home out in the city, marry whom ever she wanted and have one or two kids.

"Mat and I are not getting back together mom."

"With time you will understand Jennifer, no relationship is perfect. He made a mistake."

"He humiliated me mom!" JJ barked back.

"No that was Lucy not Mateo."

"He cheated regardless, and nothing will fix this. I'm happy with Spencer and that's that."

"You have no idea what you want yet, you are still so young."

JJ stood up and headed for the back door.

"I'm old enough to live however I want to live." She opened the door to a gust in cold wind waiting for her. "Oh and Spencer and I have been sharing a bed." With that JJ slammed the door shut behind her as she headed to the barn leaving her mother in shock at the kitchen table.