chapter fifteen

"So I tried to configure your communicators back to Robotropolis but the signal is just too weak, sorry." 

Sonia and Manic nodded solemnly as Tails informed them of his unsuccessful tinkering. The kit smiled sadly before walking back down to his workshop. 

"Well that sucks." Manic spoke. Sonia nodded. "I suppose it ain't too bad, we hafta' go back, since we have to beat Buttnik and all." 

"That we will bro," Sonic spoke from the couch. He was laid down on one end while Zale was on the other with Sonic's feet in his lap. 

Zale smirked and let one of his hands punch the palm of his other. "I can't wait to make some scrambled eggs back home, I've been away for far too long." Sonic and Manic laughed in unison, the green and magenta hedgehog sitting on the smaller couch across from their brother and uncle.  

'You wanna go for a run soon?' Zale asked Sonic mentally. 

'Is water wet?'

xxx

Later that evening Zale and Sonic were after having a race, Sonic insists he won and Zale just smirks. The two were walking back through the forest in Mystic Ruins enjoying their time together.  

"Hey, Uncle Z?" Sonic spoke up timidly. Zale looked at him with a raised brow. "Do you think we'll actually reunite with mom? I just..." Sonic trailed off and came to a stop.

Zale slowed beside him and took in the smaller hedgehog. Sonic had his ears folded back and had his arms wrapped around himself in comfort. It hurt the older hedgehog to see his nephew so down. "I believe you will kid," Zale said and let his arm come to a rest across Sonic's shoulder. "She loves you guys so much, it has to be killing her to be away from you all these years. I don't have a doubt it'll be soon."

Sonic's emerald eyes watered and tears escaped from him, he shoved himself into Zale's chest and seeked the comfort he rarely looked for. Zale was happy to comply and squeezed his nephew tighter. 

"I love you kid, I'm sorry you got a bad hand at life. But you've made such an impact on people and you've stayed strong. You're the bravest little hedgehog I know." 

xxx

The Oracle watched over his charges as he so loved to do. He scratched his chin with his long nimble finger and let out a sigh. Waving a hand over his viewing pool to get rid of the image he was looking at he zoomed over to one of his many bookshelves, dragging his finger across the spines of books until he got to the one he was looking for. He pulled out a dark purple book, no title or author, opened up the book and landed on a page. 

Upon closer inspection you could see a dark indigo hedgehog with piercing yellow eyes in a black cape, beside him almost covered by the taller hedgehogs cape was a smaller dark blue hedgehog with no eyes at all. 

The Oracle heard the sound of footsteps drawing near him and quickly closed the book and placed it back into its spot and turned around to greet the Queen herself. 

"Hello Oracle." The royal hedgehog greeted, walking up to the Oracle and handing him a steaming mug full of tea. "I had another vision tonight, of my brother of all people. We had made up, and we were fighting side by side with my children. How come I haven't seen him in one of my visions before now?" 

The Oracle hummed, sipping his tea slowly. "I cannot say Your Majesty. Only you can put the pieces of your prophetic dreams together." Aleena nodded and pursed her lips.

Sitting down on the couch in the small lair Aleena let her mind wander. Time was drawing nearer until her children and herself finally reunited, and she was ecstatic. Oh how she missed her babies... But to suddenly have a vision of her younger brother Zale, how did he come into the picture so suddenly? She had not seen him in many years... and she did not know if she was ready to see him yet. Her brother had always had a grudge against her, always having desired the crown but was denied as he was not the eldest child. 

Finishing her tea, Aleena placed the cup down onto a table and sat back. If it happened that her brother was to appear along with her children, she would try to get along with them. 

'For the children's sake,' The Queen thought. 'Soon my children, soon we will be together.'