book 1 - chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"We need to get Bolin out of here now." I assert.

"Any ideas yet?" Korra asks.

Mako nods. "I think so. See those machines? They're powered by water and steam. If you guys can create some cover, I can grab Bolin without anyone seeing, then we duck out of here."

I nod. I turn to Korra. "Works for me." She answers, she grabs Mako's shoulder. "Mako, good luck."

He turns to face us before scurrying into the crowd. "You guys too."

We take that as our cue and run towards the machines that Mako indicated. We find a hallway that leads to all the levers that control the outputs of the machine. Korra grabs a wheel and turns it with struggle, a few steam comes out.

"No, it's not enough." Korra says in frustration.

"What if I waterbe—"

"Hey, you two!" I'm interrupted by the guard that we saw at the entrance. He looks pissed.

"Is there a problem, my brother?" I ask, attempting to seem innocent.

"What are you two doing back here?"

"Uh." I say, my mind suddenly turning blank.

Korra interjects, coming to my rescue. "Looking for the bathroom."

I notice that he takes out a tool from his belt. My first thought is that it's the tool that the equalists use to electrocute people. Before he can do anything, I waterbend water out of my flask and freeze his hand. He looks at me with disdain. I smirk.

His solution is to attempt to hit us with the block of ice I made. My eyes grow wide. We dodge all of his attacks. Korra tangles the scarf Mako lent her and wraps it around the guy's arm. She spins him around and slams him against the pipe, causing an enormous amount of steam to come out.

I smirk. "That should be enough."

My best friend and I proceed to waterbend the steam as hard as we can unto the machinery, making it explode. We both run as far away from the explosion as we can, running into pitch black darkness.

Korra and I find an exit that leads to a back ally. We're both panting and sweating from the adrenaline.

I turn to face her. "We've got to go back for Mako and Bolin." She nods in agreement.

Suddenly, to our left, we hear what sounds as heavy combat. Then, we hear Mako and Bolin's screams, recognizing their voices. Korra and I look at each other and silently follow the sounds of our friend's pain.

We sneak to see both of them on the ground, an equalist guard standing smugly looking at them. "You benders need to understand, there's no place in the world for you anymore."

I roll my eyes and turn to Korra. "Should I handle this, or do you want to prove this yahoo wrong?"

Korra smirks. "I got this one." She proceeds to kick a wad of pavement, earthbending it so that it would send the equalist guard flying, slamming into the wall. He groans and looks at us furiously. "I wouldn't count us out just yet."

I high five my best friend and proceed to check on Mako, who is slowly waking up.

"You had me worried there, flame boy." He smiles softly as I help him up.

Meanwhile, Korra whistles for Naga. I help Mako up and get him on Naga, jumping on behind him.

I notice that Bolin is still lying down, and Naga proceeds to run towards him. She grabs him by the back of his shirt and picks up the pace. I turn around to see that more equalist guards are coming down towards us.