Chapter 29: Memories

"Kitty...Adrien..."

Marinette dreamily mumbled in her sleep rolling over.

"Identities...must protect..." Her voice grew frantic.

"No...no...t-that can't happen...not again...stop...please!"

"Marinette!" She heard Tikki's voice in her ear. "Are you okay?"

Marinette deeply exhaled and opened her eyes looking around frenetically.

"Where's Adrien?"

"Kiddo's downstairs. Will be back soon." Plagg said from the couch.

Marinette nodded as she sighed and got off the bed.

"Are you okay, Marinette?"

"I'm fine..." She tried giving Tikki a smile, "I'm just...confused."

She sat down on the chair and looked forward in contemplation. There identities were revealed now but...what if...things wouldn't always go smoothly. What if they were at more risk than before? How would she stop herself from making the same mistakes all over again?

I chose you both for a reason.

You're the best miraculous holder I have ever met, Ladybug.

You hold all the keys.

The real gift of life is life itself.

Master Fu had parted ways with them, and it wasn't fair. Life was never fair. A man needed to lose all his memories to support the greater good. Just when she'd thought things were going alright, she'd be back to square one. Endings were never completely happy in life. There would always be something to lose...

"Good to see you awake, Milady." Adrien's voice came from behind her; she spun her chair around to look at him. "Do you feel better?"

"I'm...feeling better..." She faked a smile at him.

"Hmm..." He perched himself on the floor in front of her, "You sounded hesitant...Is there something on your mind?"

"Uh..." Marinette paused. Was talking about things that were already done worth it?

"Please, Marinette." Adrien pleadingly looked at her placing his hand on hers. "You need to tell me how you're feeling."

"Adrien..." Marinette painfully looks into his eyes. "It's not that easy. I'm confused myself. I don't think I know what I'm feeling..."

"Talking about feelings is never easy." Adrien replied, "Especially the ones that are so close to your heart. It's difficult to share them to anyone else..."

Marinette gasped as she realised what he was talking about.

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Talk about your feelings."

"I..." He gave her a soft and shy smile. "It's easy when you're with someone you trust."

He squeezed both her hands as her heart fluttered millions of symphonies at his words. She bit her lip and returned his shy smile.

Just then as if it had come to ruin the moment, a thrill of fear echoed down her spine as she released his hands.

"Marinette." Adrien asked. "What's wrong?"

Marinette hugged herself as painful thoughts and memories throbbed in her head.

"I'm s-scared and confused, Adrien."

"Why?"

"Remember when Miracle Queen happened..." Marinette sighed. That wasn't the only thing that happened...