His index finger applied pressure to the button as his lips lifted into a grin. "Rodger that, Sugar Booger. Over and out."

Tyler set his walkie talkie down only to be met with, "That's not my nickname! Over and out."

Tyler chuckled to himself as he made his way up his steps to put on a shirt and shoes.

ಠ_ಠ

"What's up?" Tyler asked as he approached y/n on the bench. She looked up at him, excitement lighting up her eyes but she held back from pulling him into a hug and remained seated. Tyler left his hands in his pockets as he stood there. "Wanna walk?"

Y/n shrugged, standing up and wrapping her arm under his, linking them together. "So, I have some big news."

Tyler took a deep breath, keeping his eyes fixated on the concrete sidewalk as they began to make their way to the bridge in the middle of the park. "You're pregnant aren't you?"

Y/n immediately shook her head, leaning her forehead on his shoulder to hide her embarrassment. "No, god no."

Tyler let out a breath to relief. "Is it good or bad news?"

Y/n bit the inside of her lip as she furrowed her eyebrows in thought. "I actually don't know yet." Tyler nodded, staying quiet so she could go on and tell him the big news. She took a deep breath, thinking of the most best way to tell him. Maybe she should keep it simple. "Ryan asked me to marry him last night."

Ryan. Her boyfriend. The one who taunts Tyler in his nightmares. Tyler inhaled deeply, looking over at y/n as if it was just another simple topic to converse. Although inside of him felt like screaming at himself for believing there was a chance with this girl, his face remained blank. "Did you say yes?"

Y/n looked down, their pace becoming slower. She shrugged, "I told him I'd think about it."

"Why would you do that?" Tyler asked, his tone of carelessness covering his feeling of eagerness.

Y/n took a deep breath, shrugging her shoulders. "I'm confused. I mean, he's a great guy. He's just missing something important. He's not who I pictured in my perfect dream family." Y/n shrugged, "I don't know maybe I'm romanticizing this. Maybe the perfect dream family doesn't exist."

Tyler nodded, "Do you picture somebody else in your perfect family?" He egged on, lifting his eyebrows.

Y/n nodded, "Yeah, but he's one of those creative people. One of them that will make a name for themselves. He doesn't want to be held back by me."

"I'm sure he does." Tyler answered quickly. "I mean, he doesn't want to be held back— maybe. But if he loved you-"

"He doesn't." Y/n interrupted, unlinking her arm from his and putting them in her jean pockets.

"Why wouldn't he?"

Y/n stopped, crossing her arms and looking at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Are you kidding me right now?"

Tyler stepped back away from her, looking at her questionably. "What?"

"You really have no idea it's you?" Tyler stood there for a second before awkwardly shrugging his shoulders. "See! Right there. That's why I think you don't like me. Every time I put myself out there you slither away from the topic as if you're uncomfortable with it!" Y/n burst, "yeah, you're uncomfortable. But if you liked me you wouldn't hide from your feelings like a coward! I'm sick of it. You confuse me non-stop."

"Me?" Tyler furrowed his eyebrows. "You're the one who ran away into someone else's arms. I cared for you, and I loved you like a boyfriend even though I was just your friend."

"Yeah, and that's exactly what I hate! You give off these emotions and actions as if you love me and then you turn around and deny them. Every time I give you an opportunity you act like a different person!"

"Well, if you didn't go out and mess with that Ryan I would've been the one to ask you to marry me."

"I was sick and tired of you treating me like a crush one time and then like shit the next!" Y/n had tears in her eyes as she shouted at him, all her anger from all of those years hurtling out of her mouth like a sword slicing through the jungle's vines. "You were that guy," y/n calmed down, her eyes staring into Tyler's wide brown ones. "You were that guy in my perfect family. But every time I tried to nudge you to make a move you became the best friend instead." Y/n shook her head, a small huff coming from her nose. "Maybe there is no such thing as a perfect family. So, I guess there's no point to answer 'No' to Ryan's big question."

And with that she turned and headed the other way towards her car. Tyler stood there, his eyes staring down at the grass. "Please don't answer yes." He called, and y/n stopped in her tracks. "I don't know what I'd do if I had to attend your wedding as a guest." Y/n slowly turned around, her eyes red from tears, and her eyebrows furrowed. "I love you too much to watch you grow up with someone else."

Y/n relaxed her tensed shoulders, a small smile forming on her lips. "Why couldn't you have just said that from the beginning?"

Tyler shrugged, "I was scared. I was scared to grow up and commit to someone. But now I know that I already have."

Y/n sighed, walking back towards Tyler. She stared at him for a moment, taking in all of his features for any hint of a lie to make her feel better. He stood his ground, an apologetic glance and loving eyes. "You're an idiot, you know that?"

Tyler furrowed his eyebrows slightly, and y/n let a small smile grow on her face. Tyler formed the same smile. "I know, sugar booger."

Y/n then gave him a deathly glare. "That is not my nickname."

Tyler sighed, a small chuckle vibrating his vocal chords. "Twinkie." He corrected, and y/n grinned.

"Well, are you going to kiss me?"

Tyler stepped closer, as y/n lifted her chin to ready herself. He leaned in, their lips touching and forming into one.

He smiled as he released, the joy of having the ability to kiss her was warming his insides.

He definitely loved this girl.

ಠ_ಠ

I haven't written a short story in so long.