16

hazel watched as her mom put one last box in the car before she turned to look at hazel with a smile. "do you need any help bringing more boxes to your car?" she asked and hazel shook her head with a small, sad smile.

"i've got it." hazel had her arms crossed over her chest and she let out a sigh once her mom had walked back inside. she glanced over at her opened trunk and frowned at the sight of boxes filling it up. she only had two more boxes in her room, so she didn't need help with them, but there wasn't much room in her car, so she would have to throw them in the back seat.

her mom and millie walked out a few minutes later with their bags. "we'll meet you at the house." her mom pressed a kiss to her cheek and hazel smiled at her before giving millie a hug.

"i'll see you on the flip side, mill."

"drive safe." millie mumbled into her shirt before pulling away. she made her way over to her mom's car and climbed in.

"you have the address?" her mom asked and hazel nodded. "good. let me know when you're on your way and we'll see you later."

"love you!" hazel shouted after her mom as she got in the car and headed off. millie rolled down her window and waved, causing another smile to form on hazel's face.

she made her way back inside to get the remaining two boxes, shoving them in the backseat before she locked the front door and looked around at the house. she was going to miss it. she made her way over to her car and climbed in, looking behind her at the car full of boxes before she put the car in drive and headed to her next destination: the chateau. there was no way in hell she would be leaving without saying goodbye to her new best friends. she had already said goodbye to her school friends the day before.

as she pulled up to the chateau she noticed the hms pogue was gone and a frown formed on her face as she made her way to the house, letting herself in. no one was home as she predicted, so she looked around for a pen and some paper to write the boy a letter. when finding what she needed she sat down at the small table and started writing.

she got halfway through it when the front door opened and she looked over her shoulder to see john b. "hey," she smiled at him, rising from the seat. "i was just leaving you a note." she explained.

"you were gonna leave without saying goodbye?" he frowned.

"i'm sorry." she sighed. "i have to get going soon, but i wanted to say goodbye to you and the group first. my mom and millie are already on their way to my aunt's house."

"oh." he ran his hands over his hair and looked at the girl before letting a loud sigh out as he stepped closer to hug her. "i'm gonna miss you so much." there was a crack in his voice and it made hazel tear up.

"i know." she said. "i'm gonna miss you too."

they remained hugging for a few more minutes until the rest of the group entered the house, pulling them apart. "why's your car full of boxes?" jj asked as he sat on the couch.

"i'm leaving today." hazel stated as she looked over at the boy.

"oh." he frowned. "i forgot."

"yeah." she pursed her lips.

"i can't believe you're leaving." kiara threw her hands up. "like this sucks ass."

"i know." hazel chuckled. "you guys are amazing, okay? never forget that."

"how could we?" jj smiled. "we're the best there is."

"yes," hazel laughed. "you are." there was a silence before hazel let out another sigh and looked around at the group of four. "i should get going. i need to get there before dark."

"i'll walk you out." john b said.

hazel hugged the three pogues before following john b out to her car. she sat in the driver's seat and sighed, turning to look up at john b who stood in the doorway of the car. "i can't believe i'm really leaving."

"me either." john b leaned forward to brush away hazel's tears. "i'll see you, hazel grace." he smiled small and the girl climbed back out of the car, wrapping her arms around the taller boy as she cried into his shoulder. "i love you, hazel." he sighed, hugging her tight.

"i love you, too." she cried, squeezing him. "i'll see you soon, john b." she said once she finally pulled away.

"i hope so." he smiled, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "i can't wait for that day already."

"me either." she smiled at him as she got back in her car. she wiped away her tears and started the engine, letting it roar to life. "i'll let you know when i get there."

"drive safe." he smiled, closing her door for her. she rolled down the window and smiled at the boy.

"you're amazing, john booker routledge. don't let anyone tell you otherwise." she said, causing him to smile wider.

"same to you, hazel grace wikander." he said, stepping away from the car. the rest of the group came outside and stood with the boy, waving as hazel started to pull away from the house.

"have an amazing summer!" she shouted as she stuck her arm out the window and waved at them as she drove away.

little did hazel know, they were going to have a summer they would never forget.

this is where season 1 starts!!!

thank you for reading this
book and i'm glad so many
of you loved it as much as
i enjoyed writing it!!!

i have a few other outer
banks books posted if
you want to check them
out !