14

two weeks had gone by and hazel had managed to stay close to home to keep an eye on things. she witnessed her parents' fight and cried herself to sleep, knowing things weren't seeming to go well between them. john b hadn't been around much since she wanted to stay on high alert and she couldn't have any distractions. however, she was going through withdrawal and text the boy, asking if he wanted to hang out. she needed to get out of the house now that things were getting bad. of course, she told him millie had to tag along because she didn't want a repeat of what happened last time and the boy didn't seem to mind.

the two girls got in hazel's car and headed in the direction of john b's house, singing along to whatever song was playing on the radio. "hazel?" millie asked, causing the blonde to turn down the music and look at the girl through the rearview mirror.

"what's up, mill?"

"do you like john b?" she asked and a small smile formed on hazel's face and she gripped the steering wheel. "i mean, you guys kissed. that means you like each other right? like how mommy and daddy used to like each other?" the comment made hazel frown, but she nodded.

"yeah, i guess i do like john b." she spoke, turning the music even lower. "i don't know if john b likes me the same way though. just because two people kissed doesn't mean they're dating or they're meant to be together though."

millie smiled small. "i think john b likes you." she nodded her head. "he looks at you like you're the world."

"really?" hazel questioned, glancing over her shoulder at the little girl before she turned back around to focus on the road.

"yeah," millie nodded. "i just hope you two don't end up like mommy and daddy." there was a silence between them before millie spoke again. "what happens if mommy and daddy get separated?"

hazel sighed, "if they separate one of them is probably going to move out of the house and we'll have to vist them whenever we can."

"who do you think is going to move out?" the little girl asked.

"i don't know." she answered. "i think mom will move out, if i'm being honest. she's wanted to leave outer banks for a long time now. dad likes it here."

"who would you go with?" millie asked. "if mommy left, i mean. would you stay with daddy or go with mommy wherever she goes?"

"i'd go wherever you went, millie." hazel answered truthfully.

millie thought about it for a moment before speaking up. "i think i'd go with mommy." she paused. "daddy scares me sometimes. mommy never scares me."

that made hazel frown, but she forced a smile on her face. "wherever you go, i go, millie."

"good." millie sighed happily. "i can't live without you."

hazel laughed, "i can't live without you either."

"but what about john b?" millie frowned in the back seat.

"what about him?" hazel asked, looking at the girl through the rearview mirror again.

"if we leave with mommy, you'll never see him again." she stated and that thought reminded hazel that not everything in the world was perfect. especially not her life.

"that's okay." she offered her a sad smile. "we can still be long distance friends."

"but you can't be boyfriend and girlfriend." milie frowned.

"i promise it's okay, millie." hazel assured the girl. "everything is going to work out the way it should."

"but you and john b are meant to be together." millie pouted.