09

babysitting may have seemed entertaining, but when it was on a school night it really wasn't because the kid had to be in bed a bit earlier than normal. hazel was babysitting her eight year old sister and it was reaching nine o'clock, aka the little girl's bedtime.

"come on, millie." hazel groaned as the little girl continued to watch her netflix show. "it's time for bed."

"five more minutes." millie demanded. "the episode is almost over."

"that's what you said five minutes ago." hazel rolled her eyes and walked over to the remote. she snatched it away from the girl and turned off the tv before smirking at the shocked expression on millie's face. "bedtime. now." hazel demanded and millie rolled her own eyes before stomping up to her room.

there was a knock at the front door and it and it made hazel furrow her eyebrows in confusion. who would show up to someone's house so late on a school night? she walked over to the door and looked through the peep hole, surprised to see john b standing on the other side of the door.

she quickly swung the door open and smiled at the boy. "hey, what are you doing here?"

"i was wondering if you could help me with homework." he sounded desperate. "i know it's late and i'm sorry about that, but i just can't figure this shit out and pope was too busy to help, so you were my only other option." he rambled.

"sure." the girl nodded. "i'm just getting millie to bed. why don't you set up in the living room?" he nodded and the girl made her way upstairs to millie's room.

"i don't want to go to sleep, hazel." millie pouted and hazel sent her a smile.

"i'll make you a deal." she began and millie rose an eyebrow. "if you go to bed right now and don't make a big hassle about it i'll ask john b to come over this weekend."

millie smiled wide and nodded, "okay." she had already changed into her pajamas and was in bed. "goodnight, hazel. i love you."

"i love you too, munchkin." hazel smiled, pressing a kiss to millie's forehead, causing the little girl to fake gag. hazel laughed, rolling her eyes at the little girl before she turned out her light and closed the door. she made her way back downstairs and saw john b looking at an opened textbook. "what subject do you need help with?" she asked, sitting next to him.

"almost everything." he sighed. "i pretty much finished the math, but there's a couple problems i don't understand and english was pretty easy because it was just reading."

he had his math textbook open and the blonde nodded. "okay, well let's finish math first." she smiled at him and he returned it before the two got to work. she helped him with the parts he couldn't figure out and when they finished they took a break to get drinks.

"there's a kegger at the boneyard this weekend." john b stated and the girl tilted her head at him.

"is that an invitation?"

john b smirked before quickly wiping the look off his face. "yeah, i guess."

"millie wants to see you this weekend." hazel stated. "i told her i'd try to get you to hang out if she went to bed without any problems."

"that's fine." john shrugged his shoulders. "we'll hang here for a little before we go." he smiled and it made hazel smile back.

"okay, deal." the girl nodded and she sipped her drink. "shall we finsih your homework?"

"yeah," the boy sighed. "i just have a few questions for science and then i'll be out of your hair. i know it's kinda late."

hazel glanced at the clock on the stove and smiled at the time. it was nearly ten, yet hazel wasn't even tired the tiniest bit. her parents weren't going to be home until eleven, so she had a little more time with the boy before she knew her parents would kick him out. "yeah, we should finish. if you're not gone by the time my parents get home they're going to throw a fit." she chuckled and it made john b smile.

the two made their way back into the living room and sat on the couch, starting on john b's science homework. it only took them a solid twenty minutes to finish it up and john shoved all his books back in his bag before heading towards the door. "i'll see you at school, i guess." he smiled, "thank you for your help."

"no problem." the girl returned the smile. "it was my pleasure."

"tell millie i said hi and i'll see her saturday." he pointed a finger at the girl as if he was demanding she do as he said.

"will do." hazel nodded, gripping onto the door tightly. she was kind of nervous; was he going to kiss her cheek again or just leave?

"goodnight, hazel."

"night, john b." the girl gave him a tight lipped smile and she watched as the boy shoved his hands in his pockets, heading towards his car. she pursed her lips and shook her head as she got a sudden burst of confidence. "john b, wait!" she rushed down the porch steps and over to the boy.

john b spun around and the girl crashed into him, causing a gasp to escape her lips as she looked up at the boy. "what's up?" he asked, holding her up.

"i--" she licked her dry lips and shook her head again, ridding any thoughts of regret from her mind as she stood on her toes and pressed a light kiss to his lips. she was shocked to feel the boy kiss back and as she pulled away a smile formed on her face. "goodnight." she nodded once before turning on her heels.

she didn't bother looking back at the boy as she rushed up the stairs and into her house, quickly closing the door behind her. she couldn't wipe the smile off her face. as she peeked out the window she saw john b pulling away from the house and the smile instantly grew.

he kissed her back.