07

"john b is here!" millie shouted excitedly from the living room. hazel let out a nervous sigh as she stood in her mirror trying to finish pinning her hair up the way she wanted to. unlike most girls who had gone to a salon to get their hair styled, she simply did it herself to save her parent's money. she didn't need some crazy updo; just something simple and cute.

"here." her mom entered the room, grabbing the bobby pin from the girl. she pinned the loose strand of hair before hugging the girl's shoulders from behind. "you look beautiful."

"thanks, mom." the blonde smiled, looking at her mom through the mirror.

"now hurry up. john b isn't going to wait forever and i need pictures of the two of you before you leave." she squeezed hazel's shoulders before leaving the room. haze fixed the straps of her heels before looking herself over one last time in the mirror.

she took a deep breath and grabbed her clutch before heading out of the room. the click of her heels echoed down the hallway and she took one more deep breath before grabbing the railing, heading down the stairs. as she reached the bottom she heard Millie gasp and the girl looked up to see her sister with wide eyes. "hazel, you look beautiful!" she smiled, running up to hug her sister.

"thanks, mill." hazel smiled, rubbing the girl's back. millie grabbed hazel's hand and dragged her into the living room. she nearly tripped over her heels and made her way into the room, standing up right when millie let go of her hand. john b was talking to her parents and millie announced that they were in the room, causing john to turn around and look at the girl.

"wow," he breathed out, hands shoved in his pockets. he didn't know what to say as he stared at the girl, watching her walk further into the room. he approached her, pulling his hands out of his pockets and lightly brushed a loose strand of hair away from her eyes. "you look amazing." he commented and the girl smiled, looking down at her feet before she looked back up at the boy.

"you look amazing too." she said, fixing his bow tie.

"thanks." he smiled.

"come! i need pictures!" hazel's mom smiled, ushering the two into the living room. hazel playfully rolled her eyes and nodded, grabbing john b's hand.

she led him in front of the fireplace and the two posed for a few pictures; some smiling, some serious, and some goofy. of course, john did his signature hand gun pose and it made hazel laugh, so she did it along with him.

sarah and topper soon arrived and the two boys seemed civil for the most part. they took some group photos before heading off. hazel wanted to drive, so her and john b took her car while topper and sarah took topper's car. prom was being held in a building a few miles from the school. there was tons of space for tables and room to dance, so they settled for that instead of doing something on the mainland or at the school.

"wow," john b said once they made their way inside. "this is amazing."

"i know, right?" hazel smiled. the blonde was only a junior, but she had attended prom her freshman and sophomore years with older classmen, so she knew what to expect. "let's find our table first."

"okay." john followed the blonde towards where their table was. they took their seats and waited for the rest of their table to show up before john asked the girl if she wanted to dance. hazel nodded and grabbed john's hand, leading him to the dance floor.

they danced for what felt like hours before stopping to get food. the food was probably the best food john b had ever tasted (the boy said) and that made hazel smile. they danced a little more until a slow song came on and the blonde placed her hands on john b's shoulders.

"i don't know how to slow dance." he admitted and the girl smiled.

"just put your hands on my hips and sway." she instructed and the boy did as told. it felt like the longest slow song they had ever heard, but neither complained as they swayed along to the music and talked about anything, and everything. when the song ended they decided to get dessert. dessert consisted of anything you could possibly think of. they each chose a plateful of things to split and sat back down at their table. they ate the desserts, feeling way too full afterwards and decided to call it a night even though there was still a good hour until prom was officially over.

hazel let john drive her car since she was tired. by the time they made it back to john b's it was nearly eleven and hazel didn't feel like driving home, so the boy offered his bed to the girl and she gladly accepted.

"holy shit." kie's voice caused the blonde to look up from her feet and she noticed john's three best friends chilling on the enclosed front porch. "you look amazing, hazel."

"thanks." hazel smiled at the girl before following john to his room. he gave the girl a pair of basketball shorts and a shirt to sleep in, and the girl thanked him before he left the room. she quickly changed and placed her dress at the end of his bed before she made her way out to the porch where everyone was still sitting.

"let me help you get all the pins out of your hair." kie offered and the blonde nodding, sitting on the floor in front of the girl.

"my turn to change." john b smiled, rising from the couch next to jj and he made his way to his room. once all the pins were out of hazel's hair she let it fall around her shoulders, causing the wavy hair to flow nicely.

she picked herself up off the floor and thanked kiara before laying on the couch with her head in jj's lap. the boy didn't seem to mind as he started to play with her hair until she fell asleep, leaving the rest of the group to talk to john b about their prom night.

sorry this took so long i
haven't really been inspired
to write lately :(