TIW 31

Kristin

Rod Vindiveil Valencia Bezos
Karell Luna Rivera
#1134 Gold Village, Metro Manila, Philippines

Notice is hereby given that the Motion for Summary Judgment shall come on for hearing before the Honorable Jazriel Fernandez, Judge of the above-entitled court, in his courtroom at Padre Faura St, Ermita, Manila, Metro Manila anytime soon thereafter as counsel may be heard.

The honorable judge rose up to his seat and started to speak with authority.

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of the Philippines versus Karell Rivera. Are both sides ready?"

Agad namang tumalima at tumayo si Atty. Martinez na siyang kinuha namin para sa kasong ito kasama ang Atty. na lalaban para kay Karell.

"Ready for the People, Your Honor."

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor."

I am currently seated in the left side of the courtroom with Aaron and tita Grace. The heated tension filled the air as we waited for the trials.

Tahimik lamang ang ina ni Rod at mukhang alam na nito ang kakahantungan ng pangyayari. Ramdam ko ang pighati niya para kay Rod na pilit niyang pinagtatakpan gamit ang pag ngiti sa akin.

Hawak naman ni Aaron ang aking kamay habang nag hihintay sa desisyon ng hukuman habang ako ay hindi pa rin makapaniwala na matutupad na ang hustisya para kay Christina.

We may all be hurting right now but we need to fix the mistakes in order to live freely again.

In order to start another chapter in our lives.

I was taken back in reality when the honorable judge, Jazriel Fernandez called the attention of Karell.

"Karell Luna Rivera, the defendant will face charges of homicide first degree murder. You have the right to remain silent. The conviction is without aggravating factor which means, it can have a possibility of parole after life in prison sentence. The range of prison sentence for this type of murder conviction is 20-40 years. The prosecution may call its first witness."

Karell kept a straight face and gave out a small nod facing the honorable judge.

Then Atty. Martinez spoke, "The People call Rod Vindiveil Valencia Bezos."

"Please raise your right hand. Do you promise to state the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

Nakatingin lamang ako sa nakayukong Rod na hindi kakikitaan ng kahit anong emosyon. Bago sagutin ang tanong ay itinaas niya ang kanyang tingin sa aming banda.

He gave us a half-heartedly sad smile before answering the question.

"I do."

Kitang kita ko si Karell na nag sisimula nang umiyak sa kaniyang pwesto. Maybe she finally realized that it's all over.

Lahat kami ay hindi makapaniwala sa ginawang pag payag ni Rod para tumestigo. Yesterday feels like the longest time that I have waited.

Habang hawak ang resulta ng DNA test ay dahan dahang nag angat ng tingin sa akin si Rod. Regret was visible in his eyes. Kasabay nang pag tulo ng kanyang luha ang pag tango niya. It seems like he was so drained and tired to even utter a single word. Karell was stunned, she didn't have the chance to talk. Tears filled her eyes too.

That night, I wasn't able to sleep. I was so distracted which kept me thinking about all the great possibilities that might happen in the courtroom. Aaron were true to his promises, he was there when I needed him the most.

The room is filled with tears, hindi na rin napigilan pang lumuha ni Rod habang isinasalaysay ang mga pangyayari anim na taon na ang nakalipas.

"Karell and I planned things in order to use my d-daughter's heart for the surgery of what I thought was my son. We have all plans in accordance but Karell made a move earlier than the supposed time for the plan."

Nakakapanghina na malaman nang paulit ulit na nawala ang anak namin dahil iba ang pinili niya.

I felt pain throughout my heart. I am at fault too, hinayaan ko ang sarili kong mag mahal ng taong sa una pa lang ay malabo na akong mahalin pabalik.

If I could just turn back the clock, sana umalis kami ni Clark ng mas maaga sa pamamahay na iyon. Sana walang nawala, sana kasama ko pa rin si Christina. Sana...

Atty. Martinez continued asking questions, "Why didn't you annul your wedding before having an affair with another woman?"

The question struck Rod and he kept silent for awhile.

"I t-thought that it was her fault why we ended up in a lifeless marriage that's why I wanted K-kristin to live with it."

The questions kept going forever. I didn't pay a hundred percent attention to it. Kahit na anong deny ko sa sarili ko, it made an impact with me. It hurts so much.

"Thank you, I have no further questions." Atty. Martinez made his last remark before getting back to his sit.

The honorable judge nodded and asked for Karell's Attorney, "Does the defense have any questions?"

"Not at this time, Your Honor."

Eventually Karell is called to the platform, everything came and went. Hindi na sinubukan pang lumaban ni Karell para sa kasong isasampa sakanya. Maybe she knew at some point that her karma would come and get her back for the crime that she did.

Tears rolled down at her face, her sobs were heard all over the place and it made her voice tremble as she speaks.

"I am a-aware of my c-crimes your honor." 'Yan lamang ang sinabi niya at bumalik na sa kaniyang pwesto. I didn't know that it would be this heart breaking if it happened right before your eyes.

Kahit na lumuluha ay ramdam ko pa rin ang saya sa aking puso.

Atty. Martinez then ended the discussion.

"That is all we have to prove. Based on the evidence, you must find the defendant guilty."

Matapos ang ilang tanungan sa hukuman ay nakagawa na sila ng desisyon. Hindi ko pa rin mapigilang makaramdam ng kaba habang inaantay ang opisyal na anunsyo.

"The jury finds the defendant guilty. The jury is now excused."

As I heard the result, my cries got louder. Wala akong pakialam sa iisipin ng ibang nakakakita. The important thing is, I finally have the justice for my daughter.

I felt warm hugs. Tita Grace and Aaron's arms were all around me.

"It's all over now Maria, congratulations." I smiled at them. Happiness crept inside me.

Pero ang akala naming tapos na ay may kasunod pa pala.

The honorable judge called our attention once again,

"The court is not yet adjourned. Please settle down." Confusion came all over our faces. How come that it is not yet over? They already presented a decision but...

The court is not yet dismissed!

Nag tinginan kami ni Aaron habang takang taka at hinihintay ang kasunod na sasabihin.

"We have one more case, up for trials."

And when I heard the next case, l had to slap my face to prove that I am not dreaming and everything is real.

"The People of the Philippines vs. Rod Bezos."

---
A/N: Trials and hearings in this chapter is NOT in proper sequence and also NOT entirely based on the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines.

VOTE | COMMENT | FOLLOW