Fresh Start

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

"I just can't believe it!" Shaking her head, Ava lowered the letter that Emily had written to her. Nolan had invited her, Jack and Charlotte to his mansion after he returned from the airport. "I thought we'd clarified that in our last conversation." She looked desperately at Jack. "She was even ready to seriously consider her decision to leave."

"I think if Daniel hadn't caused a Waterloo at the beach house, she would have considered her decision," Nolan interjected, raising his eyebrows.

Charlotte shook her head slowly. "I think you're wrong, because she had also written a letter to Daniel before he'd smashed the inventory into pieces. It was clearly a farewell letter. She never intended to stay."

"How do you know that?" Ava looked at her confused. "Did he tell you about it?"

Charlotte hesitated for a moment before she reached into her trouser pocket and pulled out the slightly crumpled letter. "Here, read it yourself!" She pushed the sheet of paper to Ava and then reached into her pocket again and took out the rings, which she also placed on the table.

"Ouch!" Nolan exclaimed. "It seems she is really serious about not wanting anything to do with him." He raised his head and looked at Charlotte with a thoughtful look. "Has he already read the letter?"

"Yes, he has," she confirmed. "But I doubt he understood a thing about it. When I found him in the beach house, he still wasn't able to stand on his own feet. I brought him back to the manor, and in the end I even had to ask our gardener to take him upstairs to his bedroom." She rolled her eyes. "I'm just glad my mother wasn't there that she could see in what kind of state he was."

Ava had read the letter and handed it to Jack, who shook his head.

"This is a violation of the privacy of letters," he said tightly, giving her an indignant look. "I don't think Emily would approve that we read what she privately entrusted to Daniel."

"There's not much private in it," Ava said, shrugging defensively. "Essentially, it's things we've already known."

"It reads like an exciting thriller," Charlotte interrupted suddenly and smiled embarrassed, as they all looked at her. "Well, I had no idea how she got the name Emily Thorne and why she came here at all. Shortly after she had confessed to me that she was my sister, my father was abducted. We had no time to exchange details. She had promised me that she would tell me everything about it at a later date, but it never happened. Now I know everything at least."

Nolan, who had no scruples to violate the privacy of letters, dropped the sheet of paper after reading everything. "She really didn't leave anything out." He cleared his throat. "Except that she helped her father to escape and knew beforehand what he had planned."

"If she had confessed that, she would have sent herself to her doom," Jack said. "I can understand why she wanted to protect herself and her father."

Charlotte jumped up. "It's time to go home! My dad will be released from the hospital today, and I want to be there when they learn that Emily left."

"Your mother will surely do a somersault for happiness," Nolan stated dryly, rolling his eyes.

"You brought Emily to the airport," Ava suddenly changed the subject. "I'm sure you know her address, too."

Nolan looked at her suspiciously. "Yes, I know her address," he confirmed. "I even found the place for her myself. How so?"

"We all fly to Paris and visit her!" Charlotte suggested spontaneously. "Paris is really beautiful at this time of the year. And it's fun to go shopping."