Chapter 06: Similar faces

You immediately bent down and helped her up, your face flushing in embarrassment. “Are you okay?!”

    Ellie grabbed your hand and pulled herself up, “It’s fine. I wasn’t looking where I was going either. I haven’t seen you in a while-- why do you look angry?”

"... I really don't want to talk about it," You huffed. Mark is such a jerk. 

Ellie smiled sadly, "Yeah… it is prison for a reason." After a couple of seconds of comfortable silence, Ellie began to speak, “So, what are you up to?”

“I was going to go to the cafeteria… wanna come with?”

“Sure!”

And so off the two went, both heading to the direction of the cafeteria--

“You do realize that it’s the other way, right?” Ellie cheekily smiled as your face turned into a dark shade of red.

“...uh-- Yes! I knew that.” You swiveled  around and started walking in the other direction, trying to ignore Ellie's giggles behind you.

*  *  *

Mark still sat on the cell's firm mattress,  his heart still hardened towards his "cellmate". He was in denial that he got mad at them for no reason. Mark scratched his leg and hissed because he accidentally touched one of his bruises. Being angry at himself for what he did, he grabbed his pillow and squeezed it with all of his might. 

He was so despicable. He pushed away  someone that wanted to help and then proceeded to treat them like an asshole.  Mark then threw the pillow onto his face  and screamed like a cliche teenager: "Stupid brain, stupid EVERYTHING!" Mark then threw the pillow to the other side of the cell in a fit of rage.

After a couple of minutes from throwing his tantrum, Mark slowly got out of the entanglement of his blankets and barely put some pressure on his feet. Even from moving so damn slow, immense pain shot up his feet and went to the tips of his fingers. He quickly grabbed the pole that held the top bunk and squeezed it as tight as he could. Stars, the pain was almost unbearable. He snapped his mouth shut and clenched his teeth together, his eyes watering up. He sat there for a second or to, trying to prepare himself for how much pain he would be in. Finally he began to move. Slower than your average Grandma, he gently set himself on the floor.

For a second, Mark didn't feel any pain. It was relieving but also concerning.

Mark muttered a quick curse as unbearable pain shot up his legs. He jinxed it. Mark definitely jinxed it. He shut his mouth immediately and squeezed his hands. It felt like hot sauce was being poured inside of Mark's skin. His insides were in chaos. A mess. Mark's face scrunched up in pain, his eyes tearing up. Sweat poured down his face as he took another step. Oh how Mark wanted to scream. He felt his knees buckle at how much pain his body was in.

ithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurts-- By the stars, it hurt so much. 

Mark caught himself from falling and shoved a knuckle in his mouth to stop him from screaming. He bit down on it. Hard. Tears poured down Mark’s face as he shuffled over to the cell’s front and grabbed onto one of the bars with his free hand. In his mind, he was cursing at himself for being so stupid and how acting like an asshole got him nowhere. Inch by inch, Mark slowly shuffled over to the pillow. Finally, after five minutes, he had gotten to the other side of the cell. Mark took out the finger that was in his mouth, clenched his jaw and carefully slid his left hand down on the wall as he began to lower himself onto the floor. Once his fingertips touched the pillow, he grabbed it, slowly came back up, and hobbled over to the bed. Mark threw his pillow on the bed and grabbed the bed’s railing once more, a mixture of sweat and tears falling down his face.