Chapter Eleven

THE ONE WITH CHIVALRY

I've developed a routine after the first week and I'm already tired of it. College was dreading. Especially because it's not even for something I wanted.

I was fully booked. I could barely talk to Marianne and Aren, especially when their classes started. Aren did decide into going to college. He said something about seeing how it feels. I think he'll do just fine. Both of them would do great.

Anyways, it turns out that I have several classes with Archer — more than I had classes with my only two friends on campus. I'm not sure if he knows I have those classes with him though. I try not to call his attention to myself.

"Hello?" I picked up my phone as soon as it rang, as if I was waiting for a way out of my misery. "Hey, are you busy?" Heaven asks but doesn't really wait for me to respond. "Just kidding. Don't answer that. C'mon. We're at the campus park."

It was a garden. A huge garden. I questioned how they managed to fit it into New York. "But I do really need to finish—"

"Bring it. We'll have a little study-picnic," she eagerly argues before ending the call, still not bothering to hear my reply. I guess it's all set then.

I set down my  current homework and grabbed my sketchbook. Yes, I had art homework. And yes, I was able to have an art class since it's a curriculum requirement.

I toss on a red hoodie and slip into some black sweats before going down. I don't think I have to dress up — and it's the weekend, give me a break.

The school was surprisingly empty. I'm guessing the other students were enjoying their weekends actually having fun or going places. I didn't really have any plans seeing New York. Obviously, I wasn't really looking froward to living in New York.

"Jia!" Heaven waves from me from under a tree shade.They've already got everything set up. Not gonna lie, it does seem like a good day and a good place to have a picnic. "Hey," I greet, plopping myself across them.

She has a mellow tune playing in the background as they both snack on an array of fruits. "How are you even so busy? Class just started," Joey comments with a grimace, watching me prepare to do work. Heaven mirrors this expression.

"My dad," I simply reply, knowing it's a sufficient answer and it's not really something I want to talk about. I haven't really told them much about the premise of my stay in New York. As far as they're concerned, I moved here from California and my dad made me go to this school.

She nods in understanding. They don't pry about it because they didn't entirely want to go here either.

I pop a strawberry into my mouth. "Oh my god. This is so good!" I exclaim, tasting the perfect ratio of sweet and sour. "Right? It's from Heaven's lover boy—"

"Joey!" she laughs, cheeks burning bright pink. "How come I've never heard of this?" I tease her too. But I was genuinely curious as well. Heaven blushes harder and she buries her fave into her palms. "He's not my boyfriend," she mumbles, muffled by her hands.

She looks at me in defeat, still red. It's not like I forced the information out of her.

"He's just a really close friend. I'm not even allowed..." she trails off with a frown. "Sweetie," I coo, reaching for her arm. "No, it's okay. Jaxxon's a good friend. But we wouldn't have worked out anyway."