Chapter Four

THE ONE WITH THE ORDEAL

My father greets me with a smile. It's rather sinister if I say so myself. He extends his arms, directing me to sit on the couch like I was not his daughter. I hear my footsteps echo in the practically empty room as I motion to the couch. Out of spite and to imply that I will stand my ground if I have to, I sit on the other couch.

He doesn't say anything about it. He stands up with a folder in one hand, grabbing a cane from the side of his table with the other. There was a limp in his step. The environment that I grew up in helps me empathize with it but I wish I didn't. I may not have lived here with them for a long time, but I know what happened all this years.

Well, not until I started growing braincells and started understanding happened.

"I'm glad you're here," he begins but his empty gaze says otherwise. I couldn't read him. It means he's talking business — but then again it was rare that he wasn't. I bite my tongue before I could spew out venom that I'd end up being too back up. I hum in response.

He opens the folder as if he was about to make a business proposal. He hands me a some documents about some school along with my files. "I've enrolled you to one of the finest schools here in New York," he says as he watches me go through the papers. He actually did.

I'm confused.

I thought I was here for a different reason. I was prepared to fight for my life. I was ready to say "no" to his face.

"You've finished your high school education in California, correct?" He asks rhetorically. I hate how he could read me. It feels like he can hear the voice in my head. I like pineapple on pizza. He doesn't bat an eye. He can't hear my thoughts. But, he is seeing through my facade.

"Yes," I answer timidly. "Well, this is where you're going for college. It's a great school. It would prepare you for you future. You're going to work for the company someday," he goes on and on about the future he had planned for me. I can't bring myself to look at him in disbelief. This was something he would definitely do.

I mean, I had to leave home because of him.

"... the sooner you'd meet the people you'll end up working with. It's time for you to make a good foundation and network—"

"So I'm not here to get married?" I finally blurt out, staring him dead in the eyes. He needs to stop beating around the bush and cut to the chase. I didn't just spend hours crying because I left home, I thought I was about to completely lose my freedom. After all, that was the deal.

He bursts into laughter. "No, no, no. This is for you, my child. That business contract ordeal? It's all in the past," he chuckles as if I had just said the most ridiculous thing in the world — like I'm crazy for putting the idea in his head. "Women are the future. With proper education, you can be just like Josephine. Maybe even better."

I didn't know what to say. I don't know how to feel. Sure, I don't want to get married to a stranger for the sake of his stupid company, but it's not fair. I lived far away from my siblings for this! My sister had to marry a pig of a man because of this! Why change now? Why only now?

"But what about the deal?" I feel the words scratch my throat on their way out. "It's all in the past, Jianna," he says again. "You have nothing to worry about. Now, go rest and get ready to pack your things," he waves me off like this was just a day-to-day conversation. It's not.