Next to the lamp, I saw the picture of my Daddy resting next to it on the nightstand, making it evident Eloise had been examining it. Maybe trying to piece together who I was. I recalled her saying she wanted to have a talk with me. I pray the old woman had a shred of mercy.

     I walked downstairs, being met with the tallest man I ever seen, wearing a dripping trench coat. He was peering down at Celia's small frame, the girl clutching her tarot cards to her chest. Instinctively, I ran in front of the girl, who cowered behind me. The man's lips fell into a sour grimace. His dark eyes left little to be desired, but plenty to fear.

     It was safe to assume he wasn't the friendly type. I got a strange sense from this man. Pushing my shoulders back, I held a neutral face.

     "What's ya business here," I cautioned.

     The frown on the man's lips deepened. His features were strong, large broad nose, sharp jawline, thick eyebrows. His hair was picked out in a large afro, his skin the color of copper. He glanced me over.

     "You know Norris Mayfair, this his hotel right," his voice was low and had a rumble to it. Whatever business he had with Norris I knew it couldn't be nothing but trouble.

     So, I lied.

     "I ain't never met a Norris Mayfair."

     He squinted, staring at me with strangeness in his eyes, he glanced at Celia, and I pushed her further behind.

     "She a child, this ain't her business," I told him, "Now, whatever correlation ya have with that Mayfair is a sheer coincidence to this establishment. Mayfair ain't that uncommon of a name," I assured, "Now if ya ain't finna rent a room, I'm gonna have to ask you to kindly leave."

     He glanced me over again, his face not once softening, "If you ever meet or run into people who know him, tell him Victor looking for him," he boomed, turning on his heel and walking out the door.

     I let out a long breath, not realizing I had ceased my breathing in front of that man. I knelt down beside Celia, who had a scared frown on her own brown face.

     "He ain't hurt you, did he," I asked her, examining her, "What ya doing down here by yourself?"

     The girl was dressed in purple flannel PJs, worry in her eyes, "Is my Daddy gonna leave again?" she asked me, tremble in her voice.

     I bit my lip, staring into her doe eyes. What on earth could I say to that?

     "I'm sure ya Daddy is gonna be alright," I assured her and myself. I held out my hand, "Come on, let's get you back to upstairs to bed. It's getting late and ya know ya Nini would have a fit if she saw you down here by yourself."

     The girl reluctantly took it, and we both drudged up the steps to the Mayfair's family suite.

     I wasn't able to go back to sleep, so I stayed up listening to the storm, and writing my woes in my journal. As the night began to brighten into dawn, the rain had ceased but a dreary overcast hung over Eva. This place had slowly become my safety net, but today I felt it's eeriness and mystery.

     I had cracked open the door of the balcony, letting in some of the cool damp air. From the window, I could see Reed and Norris shooting the breeze. Against my better judgment, I decided to head downstairs and say hello myself.

     "Demetria!" Reed was always ecstatic, even on a glum day like this, "What's happenin'?"

     I gave a smile to him and Norris. Norris looked beat, it was very early. Maybe he was just getting back from.

Reawakenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें