23. Demons And Ghosts (6)

Start from the beginning

But He Xiang truly did not care. She had aborted a lot of her own flesh and blood, way before they could form limbs in her belly.

Looking at this man, she suddenly understood. They were just two sinners with blood in their hands. She laughed self-depreciatingly, a wretched feeling formed a little in the pit of her stomach, "I never expect to have a family on my own. Naturally, I don't care about such things. Not being able to get pregnant is good for my career."

Man Zui was speechless, "You... for how long do you intend to work like this?"

He said 'work', unlike other men who said she was 'prostituting' or 'selling flesh'. It might be just a play of word, but He Xiang appreciated it. She chuckled, "For as long as I want to."

Man Zui looked at her for a few seconds and nodded. He looked around her chamber and sat on top of a plush cushion. Then he fished out a package from his bosom. He Xiang saw it was a few balls of rice cakes wrapped in fragrant lotus leaves. It was a popular snacks for the low to mid income families in the town, the rice cakes were sweet and filling.

"Do you want some?" Man Zui extended his hand.

She was accustomed to fine food and wine, she would not normally bat an eye at some cheap street snacks. But for some reason, she answered with a smile, "I want it."

Man Zui could look after himself and naturally could find other places to hide, but he kept visiting her daily, bringing all sorts of street snacks for her to try. One day, right after Man Zui left her chamber, He Xiang heard the matron's panicked voice from outside her room, as well as sound of boots steadily stepping on the wooden floors.

"My Lord... My Lord... please, our girls at this floor here must be booked in advance! Even if you have the money... My Lord!"

There were women's shrieks and a few cursing shouts of men from the rooms outside, undoubtedly from other courtesans and patrons who were suddenly disturbed by the 'Lord'. Then the man outside spoke while opening her sliding door, "Then I'll just see which one is free to attend to me! I have tried all your uglier ones in the floors down below and I have more than enough money to afford... -" He took one look at He Xiang inside and flicked a heavy pouch at the matron, "Look, isn't this beauty free? I'll have her tonight."

The matron gave He Xiang a nervous glance, then towards the sword on the man's belt. He Xiang sighed and realized none of them had a choice. Fortunately Man Zui had left.

The Lord was a middle-aged man with soft limbs and belly, but thought he was a tiger with a horse-sized penis. Apparently he was a nephew of an influential minister, tasked to catch Man Zui. It had almost been a month since the Emperor's death and the traitor still had not been found. Through his big mouth, He Xiang found out Man Zui was actually the famous Left General Man Ge-ershu.

Despite now knowing Man Zui's real name, He Xiang did not care much. She was never interested to know knew who was what kind of lord or which general.

Man Zui was Man Zui. Knowing the fact that this half-balding man wanted to catch and kill Man Zui, she felt disgusted on his behalf.

But the official was loaded, and after his night with He Xiang, he paid her a handsome tip and relayed to the matron to bestow another tattoo for her.

The next day, Man Zui noticed her slightly limping leg, fresh from the newest lotus blossom etched onto her skin.
"I thought you wouldn't have to work last night?" There was displeasure in his voice, it caused her to feel slightly happy instead. She teased him again, "I didn't have any say, darling. He was the official who is hell-bent on catching you and bring your head back to the capital." She daringly ran her fingers on the lapels of his robe, "Maybe he's not as high-ranked as the almighty Left General Man Ge-ershu, but he still paid... ."