Chapter 1: And the Freak arrives

I woke up to my little brother jumping on me repeatedly.

"New people! New people! They moved in!" I push him off with a smile on my face, which makes him fall, causing him to grunt. I look over to see if he was okay, and there was a smile on his face.

Yup, he's okay.

"What are you talking about, dweeb." I mutter, still recovering from the abuse I got from his feet, along with the foul taste my mouth has created over night. Why can't I ever catch my own breath?

"New family moved into the house next door!" He said excitedly, clapping his hands together. I get off my bed and push my brother out of my room, shutting it and locking it. I turn around and take a deep breath. A smile forms on my face, as my excitement hits my peak. I can feel it rising higher and higher, until it passes my capacity. I scream at the top of my lungs, as my body begins to move around in full excitement. I could finally have a best friend that lives across from me. She would be a new addition to my family, and my mom could have the best friend she always wanted too! I quickly brush my teeth, and run downstairs to talk with my mother of the exciting news. I catch her baking in the kitchen while humming a tune of her favorite song that I never bothered to learn.

"Jess, did you hear -" I cut her off by screeching and running to her. That was our relationship, I can tell what she is thinking and what she is going to say, as she can do toward me. We scream like a bunch of teenage girls. We bounce around the kitchen, unaware of the fact that people were standing in the doorway, looking at us with an amused expression.

"Mom, the neighbors.. They are here." We stop right in the middle of our happy dancing. I can tell I had a stupid look on my face, because the family was snickering. We break apart, acting casual. I sit on the counter and mother tends to the sink.

"Wassup?" We both said in Spanish accents, "Welcome to the hood.." My mom adds. Giving her my mom-stop-it-you're-embarrassing-me look, I turned my attention back at the family, taking in their features. The mother, who is still beautiful although, she is old and about five feet and four inches, meaning I am taller than her. Her hair is a golden brown, but in the sunlight it looks like gold, she is Caucasian and so is the whole family.  She has big, round, emerald eyes, a straight nose with full lips, that turns into a smile when she introduces herself as Mrs. Amelia McKill.

The husband is taller, probably six feet and one inch, has straight black hair, and a wonderful smile. His grey eyes full of happiness as he introduces himself as Mr. Joseph McKill. We introduce ourselves and find out that they came from California and that they have 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl. The two eldest, one of the boys and the girl, named Jared and Mikayla, both seventeen, which is my age, and Dylan, who is seven years old, which is my brothers age. It looks like we all get a new best friend.  I smile and ask, "Where are the children?"  They say, "Packing. You can go over and introduce yourself if you want to." I take this chance, and slip out of my house and go to their house. It looks similar, but mine looks better.

I walk up to the porch and knock on the door. I can hear the children inside moving around. The door opens and the sight I see before my very eyes, is the creation from God himself. My heart tried to escape twice; Once, by pounding through my chest and the second time, by climbing up my throat. By the face he makes, I can tell he is annoyed, so I try my hardest to start a conversation, even try to introduce myself, but... I fail tremendously. My tongue kept on tying itself up and my voice decided to hide from the words I try to form.

"I..uhh...ummm...live over..umm.. Heh..uhh.. There?" I extend my arm toward him to shake, feeling utterly, and completely stupid as I try to smile normally at him, but I feel like it fails, and my face begins to heat up from humiliation. This is the worst. He is so charming, and I am acting completely retarded!, To my surprise, he actually understood me, because he hides a chuckle and takes my hand, shaking it.

"I..uhhh...am...uhhh...ummm.. Jared?" He imitates the way I spoke. I grumble slightly from this, but notice a twinkle in his eye that shows he is being playful.

"Hey!" I complain earning a chuckle from him. "I was just untying my tongue.." I mutter, making him laugh.

"So, what is your name? Or is that too hard for you to say too?" He asks, leaning on the door-frame.

"It's Jessie, but everyone calls me Jess. Where is the others? Your parents told me that there are three of you." I ask, taking a peek over his shoulder. I hear him mutter something, as he moves aside to let me in. He takes me to the stairs, in which, I get distracted by his family photos. Before I could get a good look at them, I hear him clear his throat. I hurry up to him.  As I follow him, a familiar sound comes from a room ahead of us. I am so tempted to scream and join the one who is playing this song, but I restrain myself to keep a good first impression for a new best friend. He opens the door and the music flows out, bringing tingles to my toes to jump, but I keep myself from doing so. The music playing is by Panic! At the Disco, their "Ready to go" song. I know this song by heart, and I can feel my voice wanting to reach out and sing.

"HEY!" Jared yells toward a female, who is dancing while unpacking her clothes into drawers. She looks up with a smile, walking over to us. "Who's this?" She implies toward me and I wave. "I'm Jessie, but people call me Jess." She giggles, "Jess. I like that name." Jared leaves my side, which makes me feel awkward, which causes me to lose my self-control. "I love this song so much!" I scream and she gasps, taking my wrists and dragging me inside.

We begin to jump around her room, singing along to every song that plays.

"I'M READY TO GO!!" We sang together. We laughed, and spun around her room. Sadly, her playlist came to an end. She pulls me into a hug, which stunned me for a second, but I hug her back.

"I think we're going to get along really well!" She exclaims, with a big grin on her face. Her saying that warms my heart.

"I was thinking the same thing."

We spent the whole day talking. Getting to know Mikayla was amazing! She is just like me! The same sizes, style, music tastes! I finally found my best friend.