Chapter 7- Never Fear Brooklyn's Here

Start from the beginning

"All right. Everyone remain calm." Davey instructs.

Before he could say anything else, Jack cuts him off and yelling over him.

"Let's soak em for Crutchie!"

We all cheer, determination in our eyes, as we charge through the open gates to the circulation station. Seconds later, the tall iron doors next to Weasel's stand open and older tougher man walk towards us.

I gulp instantly.

"Oh, Jack! Jack it's a trick!" Racetrack yells as he starts to run away from the doors.

But there was no where to run. The police had locked the gates we used enter the circulation and we were officially screwed. We were about to get pounded by these grown men with weapons.

Jack is thrown into the center of the of the mosh pit forming and the men begin to swing at him. Jack is going to get killed by these scary men. 

My heart starts to beat out its chest. I feel so helpless. The men start to push us away from Jack.

"Jack! Jack!" I scream.

Jack is a strong kid and I have no doubt he's a good fighter, but this is not a fair battle. Twenty grown men with weapons vs Jack with his bare hands? C'mon that's hopeless.

Jack is thrown into the steps near Weasel's window and I feel tears start to burn in my eyes. I couldn't bare to watch him get wrecked. 

Davey hits my arm and points to the rooftops of the buildings surrounding us. One by one, boys heads began to pop up into sight.

It didn't click in my head what was going on until Spot Conlon himself appeared on the fire escape of one of the buildings. He wore the sneakiest grin on his face.

"It's Brooklyn!" Mush yelled just barely sticking out his arm to point to Spot.

Poor Mush is being held back and pushed around by one of the men trying to kill us. I look back  up at Spot and the rest of the Brooklyn boys who were pulling the band on their slingshots to aim- preparing to fire.

All at once, all hell brakes lose. Rock after rock and marble after marble soared through the air hitting these crazy men in the head. I smiled observing the chaos going on around me.

Mush extends his hand to me and pulls me into a carriage filled with stacks of newspapers. Just like yesterday, we toss them out of the cart and onto the ground.

As I did this, I saw the boys suddenly finding the courage to fight back against these men. I watch Race kick a guy in the nuts and punch his face. 

Before I can cheer him on, the back of my shirt is grabbed.

"Hey Spot!" I hear Jack yell in the distance.

The man whips me around like I am nothing but a rag doll and grasps my neck angrily. I freak out as I pull on his fingers hoping they unlatch from neck.

Seconds later, Spot soars across a clothing line and kicks my capture knocking him over. I gasp for air leaning my hands on my knees.

I stand up to see Spot and Jack meet in the center and spit shake. I turn back around and kick the guy who tried to choke me in the crotch and run towards Spot.

Without thinking, I throw my arms around him holding him in a tight embrace.

"Thank you so much!" I whisper in his ear.

His hands accept my embrace and find their way to my waist as he returns my hug. However, the moment ends quickly. 

He rips away from me and helps the boys around him fight off these men. I join a group of Manhattan newsies just in time to catch Skittery who gets socked in the face.

"Are you all right" Davey yells rushing over to Skittery.

We all push Skittery up and he returns the punch right back at the man. I turn around to see Spot throw open the gates and a sea of Brooklyn boys join him to help assist us.

I smile to myself knowingly. He really did consider taking me up on my offer.

With the help of Brooklyn, we push the men back inside the iron gates they came out of. We celebrate our triumph by cheering and ripping up the newspapers stacks around us.

"Gutsy!" Boots yells.

I turn once again to see a bunch of the boys crowded on a platform near Weasel's window. He motions for me to join them in posing for a picture Denton is about to take. When did he get here?

I hop onto the platform, smiling ear to ear and join the celebrating boys. Blink grabs one of my arms and raises it to join his fist he is pumping excitedly to the sky.

"Hey, David! Jack. Boys. Girl. Freeze!" Denton yells at us attempting to win over our attention.

Spot slings an arm around my shoulder and pulls me into his chest as we pose for Denton's picture.

"Freeze!" Denton yells again.

But I'm already frozen. For some reason I can't help but feel secure under Spot's arm.