Chapter Forty-Six

Nerves coursed through her veins as Cassiopeia made her way to Slughorn's Christmas Party. She fiddled with her black dress as she thought about how the only people she knew who were going were James and Sirius. A frown made its way onto her face as she realised she was excited at the thought of being able to spend an evening freely with the two Gryffindors.

"Miss Black!" Dumbledore's voice was full of joy as she bumped into the headmaster, "Off to Slughorn's party?"

Cassiopeia nodded her head as she looked up at the man, "Yes, headmaster."

"Excellent. Horace was just telling me about how you are his brightest student," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he told her, "I'll let you in on a little secret, I do believe you are his favourite student."

She smiled, embarrassed that the two had discussed her, "Thank you, it is a great honour."

"How are you, Miss Black? I have heard you won't be going home over the summer."

Cassiopeia frowned as she tried to work out how the man could possibly know but before she could ask him anything, James walked up from behind her and shouted her name enthusiastically.

Dumbledore's smile widened as he glanced between the two, "Enjoy your evening, Miss Black."

Cassiopeia was still in shock over their encounter as James appeared beside her and the two continued to walk to Slughorn's party, "What did Dumbledore want?"

"I don't really know," Cassiopeia replied as she glanced over her shoulder only to be met with an empty corridor, "He merely asked me how I was." 

James furrowed his eyebrows together, "How odd. Excited about this party?"

"A little," Cassiopeia lied, "Are you?"

"Yeah, I suppose so," James lied back. 

The two were in awe as they walked into a room full of splendour. There were large tables dotted around the room full of trays of food and bowls of drinks. Draped from the ceiling was a mesh cloth that had transformed the classroom into something beautiful. "I'll give it to him, he certainly knows how to host a party," Cassiopeia whispered to James.

Professor Slughorn suddenly appeared in front of the two, smiling widely at them both, "Miss Black, Mr Potter, welcome to my Christmas Party. I have invited important guests so do make sure to mingle with them. And remember to have fun. Mr Potter you must ask Miss Black to dance later on. You two make a fine couple."

Cassiopeia and James went bright red as their professor wandered elsewhere. Neither knew what to say so James cleared his throat and asked whether she wanted a drink. The two stood awkwardly at one of the tables as James poured them each a glass of whatever the liquid was, "That's definitely alcoholic," Cassiopeia told him, "I'm not sure whether it is supposed to be."

"Who cares, it's free alcohol," James replied as he gulped down the drink. 

Sirius suddenly bounded over towards them, "Why if it isn't my gorgeous cousin and wonderful best friend," He poured himself another drink as he grinned at them, "Have a brilliant evening, kids, Penelope Stoke awaits me."

"He's definitely had too many of these," Cassiopeia said as they watched Sirius stroll over to a Ravenclaw girl. 

"Padfoot will be fine, he always is," James told her, "He can handle his drink."

For once the two were able to converse freely in front of others as all the Slytherins that would snitch on her had gone home for Christmas, all that remained were students who cared very little about the interrelationships. There may have been a confused glance as it was well known the two did not get along but then they were quickly forgotten about. Cassiopeia took full advantage of this as she finally enjoyed herself. 

"I must say you do look beautiful," James complimented her as he looked down at her outfit.

Cassiopeia blushed as the boy continued to stare at her, "You don't look so bad yourself."

James laughed loudly, "Of course the first compliment from Cassiopeia Black isn't a good one." 

She rolled her eyes before dramatically declaring, "You look dashing, Mr Potter. Handsome even," She suddenly hiccupped causing her to stop, "How many drinks have we had?"

"Who cares," James slipped his hand into hers, "Would you care to dance, Miss Black?"

The two weaved through the couples and began to dance in the middle of the room, they looked exquisite together as both had been taught how to dance as children, and even with the high amount of alcohol they had consumed they managed to keep their balance. Cassiopeia stared up at the boy, listening as he carelessly flirted her. James smiled down at the girl, enjoying how she shamelessly flirted back. 

It was how they spent the entirety of the evening: dancing, drinking and flirting. Cassiopeia felt the happiest she had in a very long time.

"I think I might be a little drunk," Cassiopeia whispered to James and frowned immediately as it came out as a shout, "James, why is the corridor spinning?"

James laughed as the two stumbled down the corridor, "Do you remember what the password is to get into the Slytherin common room?"

Cassiopeia thought for a second, "It might be - no, it can't be - umm, well it - no," She could feel herself go redder, "I've never forgotten it before, what is happening to me, James? James, where are you?"

"I'm right here, Cass," James told her as he wrapped his arm around to stop her from falling over, "I'll take you back to our dormitory, we've got two spare beds as Moony and Wormtail went home for Christmas."

Cassiopeia caught sight of Evans as she rushed past them to the nearby bathroom - no doubt to throw up. 

"Everything okay, Lily?" James called out to her.

"Yes, nothing to worry about, totally fine!" Lily quickly said before disappearing into the bathroom.

Cassiopeia allowed James to guide her up to his dormitory, "You love her don't you?" She suddenly questioned him.

"Who?" James asked, unsure about where the conversation was heading and what exactly Cassiopeia was going to say.

"Evans. Lily. Whatever her name is," Cassiopeia replied, "She is certainly very clever. Almost as clever as me."

James laughed, "No one could possibly be as clever as you Cass."

"She's quite pretty too," Cassiopeia continued to hiccup as the large portrait swung open, "Nice fiery hair. You used to always compliment her. Grand gestures and all. I can't say I gave them much attention though."

"Of course you didn't, I was just an annoying Gryffindor back then."

She stared over at him, "You're aren't anymore," Her attention was then on the Gryffindor common room. She had never been in before. The warm colours of red and gold and then the crackling fire made her feel cosy and protected for a second. It was nothing like the Slytherin common room and she was almost jealous of the Gryffindors, "I don't want to be a valuable asset, James. I'm scared"

James frowned at her, "What do you mean? Cassiopeia?"

"So this is your room?" Cassiopeia changed the conversation, her drunk mind causing her to forget what she had previously said, "It looks a little messy."

She fell onto the bed furthest from the door, "Who does this bed belong to?"

"It's mine," James told her as he walked over to her and pulled the duvet over her, "Goodnight Cass."

He was met with silence as he realised she had already fallen asleep. He grabbed his pyjamas from the bottom of his bed before going over to Remus's bed. 

When Cassiopeia woke up the following morning, she squinted as she looked around the room, trying to work out where she was. Sirius was snoring loudly in his bed while James slept peacefully in the bed next to her. Cassiopeia stared over at him and smiled slightly before quickly slipping out of the room.