Chapter Three

The students of Hogwarts had grown accustomed to seeing three Black sisters command the halls of the school. So they knew immediately to scurry out of their way to avoid their wrath. Only now Bellatrix had been replaced with Cassiopeia, and although many believed she was nicer, they were not keen to see whether she was. The three girls did not care about the stares sent their way as they had spent their entire lives being watched carefully by others - it was normal for people to watch the infamous Black family. 

As the three walked into the Great Hall, they caught the attention of four young Gryffindor boys, but these did not watch them with envy or hatred, instead, their expressions were a mixture of curiosity and boredom.  

"Your cousins certainly think highly of themselves," James commented as he bit into a slice of toast.

Sirius craned his neck so he could catch a glimpse of the three, before letting out a loud sigh, "They don't care what other people think of them. Our family has always believed they are better than anyone else."

"I don't think there is anything special about them." 

"They definitely won't care about what James Potter thinks of them," Remus joked as he watched the three girls sit down together, perfectly in time as though it was rehearsed, "They have the respect of most people at Hogwarts, especially the students in Slytherin."

"Why wouldn't they? They are the Slytherin queens," Sirius commented, "Andromeda isn't that bad though, she has always been kind to me -"

James cut him off, "That was before you were sorted into Gryffindor though, how do you reckon she would act around you now?"

"I don't know. I don't know how any of them will act towards me. That's a lie - I know Bellatrix, the oldest of the sisters, will be the worst. She always has been. I can't remember a time I haven't hated the woman. She is obsessed with the Dark Arts and has gone completely crazy. Narcissa isn't that nice either - she is far too snobby and only thinks about herself. Cassiopeia is the best of them. She has always been more like a sister to me."

"A sister that has been ignoring you since the sorting ceremony," James glared over in the direction of the girl, "She doesn't sound like a good one to me."

Sirius sighed, "She won't want to upset her family. She's protecting herself that's all. It's not as though she has purposely been avoiding me."

"I say we prank her. Make her regret pretending you don't exist."

Immediately, Sirius shook his head, "That would only push her away even more. I can not and will not do that. She is still the same Cassiopeia, I know she won't stay away forever."

James sulked as he carelessly tossed his toast onto his plate, "She is a Slytherin though, Sirius. You know what they are like. There is no such thing as a good Slytherin. I wouldn't be surprised if she was friends with Snape. You should give up any hope you have for her. She will only keep disappointing you!"

Remus sniggered at him, "Oh come on, the only reason you dislike her is because she is constantly showing you up. She isn't good for your pride, that's all." 

"I think you are cleverer than her James," Peter told his friend, "She is such a show-off."

"Funny," Remus said, "That's what everyone says about James."

"Whose side are you on Remus? Mine or hers?"

"Since when was there sides?"

James pretended to be hurt, "Since she purposely showed me up in Transfiguration."

"She didn't know you then! She doesn't even know you now."

"Exactly, she is a spiteful person, even when she doesn't know you."

Remus laughed as he glanced over at her again, "She finds it amusing winding you up, and you certainly make it easy for her."

"No, I don't." James's voice began to rise.

"Oh but you do, she doesn't have to do anything and you're already annoyed with her."

"Well, that's just because, uh, well, yeah, whatever."