Rebound

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

For five consecutive days, Minah didn’t see or talk to Xiumin after class hours ended, because the temporary routine of going to Yeonjae’s sister’s dorm room was a more important thing. Haerim unnie had been helping her and Chen finish their assignment for Mr. Yongjin, striving to strike gold with whatever prize he had for the pair with the highest score.

Yeonjae and Haerim were two peas in a pod. They were both sensible and benevolent, the only difference being Haerim the opposite of Yeonjae when it came to the profession they wanted for themselves in the future. Haerim studied business and everyone knew Yeonjae would take any course with food involved, two lines of work that are so far apart when compared.

“Transpose six and viola! You’d get 43mnz.” Haerim smiled, showing the students in front of her how she solved the puzzle-like problem. It was hard but when Minah and Chen got the hang of it, Haerim’s job was plainly to guide and check their answers.

“I think we’re gonna win.” Chen laughed, closing the folder in contentment. “The questions in the middle are the hardest ones.”

“You guys pick up quick, so it’s a piece of cake for me.” Haerim praised. “It’s feels good to teach people who learn fast.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Minah said, flashing a tired smile. “We wouldn’t have finished this without you.”

“I can’t take all the credit. You kids did a good job too.” Haerim replied.

They left her place and Chen took Minah home just like the rest of the week. It was automatic that when they went down to the parking lot, Minah would go in and let Chen drive. She didn’t like doing that because she thought it was rude, but he insisted earlier that week that she should just enter the car and shut up about it.

Minah missed Xiumin driving her home himself. It was a small thing, but that very thing becoming a habit to both of them was probably the most significant moment everyday for her, because then they would just have each other and talk about how their day had been despite them belonging to the same class.

She’d look out the window, watching the town as they pass by and when they come to a red light, Xiumin would reach for her hand and intertwine their fingers... still a gesture that she wasn’t used to.

“Don’t think so hard, Minah.” Chen chuckled. “We just finished the damn folder, you should be all happy.”

“I am happy.” Minah nodded. “It’s just different when – “

“When Minseok’s the one driving?” Chen cut her off, grinning as he does so. Minah furrowed her eyebrows and wondered if she was too obvious about it even though she had said nothing for the past minutes.

“How’d you know?” Minah asked.

“I don’t know. It’s just a lucky assumption, I guess.” Chen shrugged. “You seem like you’re bothered and since we’re done with the math assignment, I thought you’d be thinking of Minseok.”

Minah didn’t answer.

“Have you talked to him?” Chen stated.

“No. Why?”

“Well, I’m with him during lunch every day. He always looked like something had taken a toll on him.” Chen explained. “It seemed to be getting worse as it neared the weekend. I thought he was just stressed because of the assignment but when I asked, he just stared at me like a lunatic and left.”

“What do you mean?” Minah asked again. Forehead creased, she listened to Chen attentively and turned to him. He just shook his head in response, and she didn’t ask any further.