Sorry

Something kept secret for such a long time could greatly change perspectives when revealed; the exact thing that happened to two junior students, who never thought they’d get that far in a sort-of-relationship with each other.

Xiumin opened his eyes to the sound of his alarm clock buzzing at five, before violently pounding on it with a harsh hand to make it stop. His head felt heavy, and if it weren’t for the fact that it’s Tuesday and not Friday, he would’ve plugged his clock out and threw it to the wall so he could sleep the day in.

Slowly sitting up while rubbing his face, he groaned and pleaded for some spirit to help him get through the day and deal with whatever was in store for him.

Xiumin threw the covers off his body and headed for the bathroom, turning the tap first of all so he could splash himself with water and be fully awaked. He went to the kitchen next and prepared coffee, enough to fill the mini pot he had with the coffee machine halfway.

He wasn’t one to cook a fancy breakfast, but he needed to eat to keep himself alive until lunch break at school. An early dose of caffeine apparently wasn’t enough to make him stable, both physically and mentally.

Xiumin opened the fridge and made himself scrambled eggs and toast in the laziest way possible, while waiting for his glorious morning brew. He loved coffee, and that was probably the only thing he looked forward to in the morning.

After loading the dishwasher, he took his breakfast at the table and started gobbling down despite the food being awful. The bread was toasted perfectly on one side but scorched on the other, and he had crispy eggs because of a few pieces of shell he didn’t notice when he was preparing it.

Breakfast was a disaster, but the shower after it was pretty amazing. He felt good as the hot water hit his bare back, as if that was the only solution to all. Xiumin went out the bathroom and dried himself up so he could wear his uniform and leave. There was a certain pattern to it: pants, button-up shirt, necktie, and then blazer.

He fixed his hair and wore his shoes before grabbing his school bag, wallet, phone and keys. Xiumin was never in a hurry, since he purposely sets his alarm an hour earlier so he could have spare time. Although, he kept changing his decision about setting it that way, because every night he swore to himself that he’d wake up with a good attitude but does the exact opposite thing the next morning.

One last look at the mirror was all that’s left before he finally leaves his flat, but that last look used up a lot of time. It wasn’t because of vanity, but because he spent five minutes or more on staring at his reflection, realizing every damn day at his apartment that he was all by himself.

No one to greet him good morning, no one to cook him a delightful breakfast, no one to say goodbye whenever he left and jumped up in excitement when he got back.

Xiumin appeared to be like those kind people who needed no one else but themselves.

But on the inside, he was lonely.

He sighed and shook his head at the face in the mirror, before spinning on his heel to walk away. Out the door, down the lift, and into the building’s parking lot he went. Xiumin parked his car in the same spot everyday like he did at school, so it was fairly easy to find. He went in and started the car, at the same time when his phone lit up with a call.

“It’s so early in the morning for this.” Xiumin answered quite rudely. “I’m gonna be driving. I shouldn’t be on my phone.”

“Minseok, when will I see you again?” The other person asked, hopeful of his specific answer. “You have to come back, at least once in a while.”