Evil Ex

Minah beat her alarm clock by an hour on Friday morning, feeling more tired than the times she goes home from school. Who knew thinking about things that have passed could be so exhausting, even more so when she thought about the day ahead of her.

Minah proceeded on her morning routine and got ready for school, passing by her Umma who was cooking breakfast for the whole family. The woman wondered why she was up earlier than usual, and all Minah could tell her was that she woke up from a bad dream.

Truthfully, she was having one right now despite being wide awake.

Minah, Eunri, Nara and Yumi were fortunate enough yesterday, going out of that restaurant with no one hurting them. She was right about Suho being a person who talks but couldn’t fight physically, the only downside of it revealing Yumi as the girl who turned Xiumin into the person he is now.

Minah didn’t know what to do when K left them at their table, all flabbergasted with what happened. While on the subject, Eunri said sorry for not telling her sooner, Nara said sorry for seconding Eunri, and Yumi asked Minah if she really is Xiumin’s girlfriend.

She didn’t respond to any of them and stared at Yumi for a long time, before standing up on her seat and walking away.

“Good morning.” Appa greeted when he sat beside her.

“Good morning, Appa.” She replied, although nothing that morning was good to her.

When Minah arrived at school, she was gazing straight at space and just letting her own two feet bring her to the homeroom. It was as if she needed to be reprogrammed, having been confused and clueless because of the information she was so curious about a few days ago.

The first face she looked for the moment she opened the door wasn’t any of her friends, but Xiumin. Their eyes locked for a second, before Minah decided to snap out of her trance and face reality.

“Hey.” Nara small smiled as she moved out of Minah’s spot, hopeful of being forgiven. Eunri was the same, but she was scared of speaking. “Are you still mad at us?”

Minah looked up at Nara and shook her head. “I’m not mad at any of you. I have no reason to be mad.”

“Really, we’re okay?” Eunri asked.

“Of course we’re okay.” Minah smiled. “I was just too surprised. It wasn’t mine to know in the first place anyway. If he dated her before, that’s none of my business.”

“It seemed like there was something wrong because you just walked out.” Nara shrugged.

“By the way, I already explained to unnie that you’re not Xiumin’s girlfriend... that Suho’s just calling you that to spite you both.” Eunri added.

Minah nodded and didn’t talk anymore.

It was awkward silence between the three of them, but only until the lunch bell rang.

“I’ll catch up.” Minah gestured for her friends to proceed to the cafeteria. “You guys go ahead. I’ll just wash my hands real quick.”

The restroom was empty when she went in, the only noise being her footsteps colliding against the shiny tiles. It was ironic how that place could be filled with chatting girls when it’s during class hours yet unfilled when it’s the actual break time.

Minah did as she promised and washed her hands, before leaning forward and staring at herself in the mirror. She looked restless despite the complete hours of sleep.

Minah knew that she shouldn’t be bothered by Yumi happening to be Eunri’s stepsister, but she was. It wasn’t because she was friends with Eunri and she felt a bit – okay, a lot – of hate for that girl, but because Yumi was so close by.