book 1 - chapter 5

Start from the beginning

"Ooh, ooh. I got it! I got it!" Bolin exclaims, gaining our attention. "I've been training Pabu to do circus tricks. Now people would pay good money to see that."

I notice how life's hardships didn't break Bolin. He's still smiling, and happy, and somewhat naïve. I have a new profound sense of admiration for the brothers.

"Come on, Bolin." Mako dismisses. "We need serious ideas."

"I was serious." Bolin says sadly.

"Don't worry about it." Mako says as he begins to make his way out of the gym. "I'll figure something out. I always do."

My heart breaks a little bit for him. Looks like he stepped up so Bolin wouldn't be hardened.

I turn to face my best friend. "So, how are we going to help?"

Korra looks to face me sadly. "I don't know. I've got airbending practice."

"Don't worry about it." I say, recognizing the importance of her Avatar training. "I'll handle it."

I give her a quick hug before running out, following in Mako's direction. I see him almost reaching the end of the hallway.

"Mako!" I call, making him stop. I run over to him.

"Need something, ice girl?"

"Yeah." I say, stopping in front of him. "What's the plan? How can I help?"

"I've got it. Don't worry about it." He begins to turn around, but I stop him by grabbing his wrist.

"You don't have to do this alone." I say sternly. "Now stop being so stupid, don't let your pride get in the way of your goal. I'm not useless, you know? I can help."

He smirks. "Okay, okay. What skills do you have?"

"A healer?" I ask Mako, holding the flyer he handed me. That's perfect.

"Yeah, if that's okay with you. I already called them and you just have to walk in with the flyer, and of course just prove that you can heal." He chuckles nervously. "You know, you really don't have to—"

"I already told you, Mako. I want to help you guys." I say, interrupting him. "Now can you just shut up and accept my help?"

He smiles at me. "Okay, I'll be working at the power plant across the street from the healing joint. But, um..."

"Yeah?" I say, urging him to finish his sentence.

"We could get lunch together." He says. "If you want to." He adds.

"Yeah, that'd be great." I smile at him. "How do you know we'll have a break at the same time, though?"

"Lunch time is mandatory for most Republic City jobs, they're all at the same time except for like restaurants." He explains. I nod. "Okay, so, just wait for me outside the joint when you're on break and I'll meet you there."

"Sounds good."

"Come on," He says. "I'll walk you."

I nod and we make our way to our jobs. As we walk, I notice that I'm really comfortable around him, despite the fact that I've only known him for a few days. He's kind and caring, despite hiding it behind his smug attitude. He completely cancels out the image of firebenders I've had since my accident. I smile. He's helping me get better and he doesn't even know it.

We arrive at my future job. Mako smugly salutes at me and makes his way over to the power plant. I open the doors and step inside the healing joint. The decoration reminds of what healing huts look like back home.