Chapter 4: Brewing Trouble, Will We Survive?

Start from the beginning

I decided I need to practice the "ah" part of vocalization.

"Ah... mah... meeah."

Okay, I got that feeling, let's try to combine it.

"Momah." I did it! It only took 1 whole hour!

"Yay, you did it! Your first word! Momma!" My mom cheered as the nudged her head against mine to show her affection.

I accepted it.

Now time for "Daddy".

"Dahmah..."

Oof, this is going to take a while.

My mother went back to taking care of the senseless newborns and left me to my devices trying to say "Daddy."

...

"Dahdah." Yes! I did it!

"Congratulations, Setsuna." My mother said her pleasures about my success.

At that moment, a pebble broke off from the ceiling and hit Aqua on the head. She immediately starting crying in pain.

"Oh, sweetie, shh shh shh..." My mother tried to calm down my sister, but to no avail. She looked like she was wondering what to do, then suddenly got that look on her face as if she just had a bright idea.

She turned to look at me.

I understood what she meant even without any command. The woman was already relying on her child to handle a problem for her with the easiest convenience.

I silently crawled over to Aqua and released my mana aura. After a few moments, Aqua stopped crying and instead started giggling. Aw, so cute. I nudged my face against hers while still releasing my aura. I felt like this was an important bonding moment.

"Thank you Setsuna." My mother said to me to thank me for my hard work.

...

After the siblings fell asleep for their naps, I went over to my corner of the house and continued to practice different words until "Dahdah" came home. I plan to surprise him. I hope "Momah" doesn't ruin the surprise.

Dad came home carrying many animals, small and large, in his claws. He put them in the stockpile area of the cave and coated the fresh meat with his mana.

"Daddah, welcam homeee..." I struggled to say. Dad looked in my direction and shook his head as if he wasn't sure that he heard correctly.

"What did you just say, my daughter?" He crawled over to me and put his face in front of mine. Too close!

"I sed, "Daddah, welcoom hoahm."

He excitingly turned his head to his wife "Sandra, are you hearing this? She just welcomed me home!" Wow. He has never said my mom's name before. He must be very excited, which is uncharacteristic of him to express.

"I know, William, she has been practicing all day in order to give you a proper welcome home. But not before she said "Momma"!"

When my mom said my dad's name, I was star-struck at how ordinary their names are compared to what they named us children. At least mom's name makes sense with how her scales are of the same color scheme of golden sand.

Maybe I'm just overthinking things...

"My daughter is so smart." Dad heaved a smug puff of vapor from his nostrils. "She must have gotten her intelligence from yours truly."

"In your dreams, you helpless romantic." My mom rebuked.

"did yoo roon into hoomans todaye?" I asked my dad the best I could of this very important question. The fresh atmosphere instantly turned cold.

Dad looked at mom with that "Where did she learn that word?" kind of look. Mom shrugged her shoulders. "The only time that word was mentioned was when she was fresh out of the egg."

Dad thought back on it and realized that she was the one who said it. Keeping that to himself, he thought about today's hunt. He did, in fact, run into humans today. They were getting to big for their britches, hunting in his territory, so he decided to scare them off.

When he told my mom and I that, mom had an understanding look and I was filled with worry. What Sans had said was true. Humans are going to attack 6 months from now. I need to train my healing magic now. If they are to fight strong humans and I can't do anything to help them when they get injured, then my happy life with this family is over.

"Daddy, Whyee Daddah no kill hoomans?"

If he had killed them, then the humans could just pass off the hunter's deaths as being killed by monsters and they would not have reported about him. Soon enough, word will reach the strong humans and they will gather here within 6 months.

"Because I didn't feel like it." He gave his easygoing reply. He is not worrying about it because he is an Ancient class, is he?

"Wat if hoomans bing stonguh hoomans den daddah?" I ask father, still struggling with my 'r' pronunciation.

"Hmm... Well, at the first sign of that, we will move out to find a new home. Preferably somewhere that is not already a dragon's territory."

Thank god he could understand my horrible language skill.

But I never thought about that. Moving. If we can't win, we run.

"But, won daddah's prideh be huht if wee flee?" I ask him.

"Well, yes, my pride as an ancient dragon would be hurt, but my hurt pride is preferable over a dead family." He said as he rubbed a wing over my head, basically patting me on the head.

I closed my eyes to remember this feeling. I don't know if it would be the last one he ever gives me or not.

"Don't worry, sweetie." My mom said crawling over to me to comfort me too. "In the face of hardship, we are in it together. As a family."

I couldn't help but look at Aqua and Odin who were peacefully sleeping away on the other side of the cave. They don't have my level of intelligence so they won't be able to understand their surroundings till who knows when. They can't understand what's going on.

To protect my family, I have to get stronger.

Unlike before, where I ignored those in trouble, this time, it is my problem. 

I will not let Sans stand correct with his assumption of me.