17. The Fairytale Prom Part 3

Start from the beginning

"Great decision." Golf says and grabs New by his hand and entwines their fingers. "C'mon, we would be late." Golf pulls New towards the mall, despite the protests coming from the latter.

New looks around the showroom and then at his wallet. He does not have enough money in his wallet that can satisfy the price of the over-expensive suit. But Golf won't go to another store. "You can pay me back later. Installments would do too." Golf's words leave a weird taste in his mouth. About the paying back. I need to ask Golf.

"Golf", New taps Golf's shoulder and says, "you didn't tell me how I should pay you back, and by when."

"Let's buy the suits first. I will tell you while we have dinner." Golf smiles. "That way, you cannot bail out." Golf says, making New sigh in exasperation. He looks at the suits and takes out one suit from the hanger. "Here. This one is perfect." Golf hands over the suit to New.

"For me?"

"Of course." Golf smiles.

"It's royal blue." New rubs the fabric. "And it's like what I had always wanted."

"I know. That's why I picked this one for you." Golf looks at New, who's admiring the suit in his hand.

"I love it!" New says, his face lit up like Christmas, and his lips pulled up into a broad smile. "Can I try this one?"

"Of course. Go to the trial room. And when you are done, show me how it fits you. I will get changed too." Golf says.

"Aren't you the best?" New says and smiles at Golf, which completely takes Golf by surprise. After all these years of friendship, this is the first time New has complemented Golf. "Let's go get changed!" New says and heads towards the trial rooms.

"How do I look?" New asks, posing like some model on a magazine cover.

"You look drop dead gorgeous, Mr." Golf laughs. "Damn, that colour suits you." Golf turns New around and looks at him from head to toe. "Starting from today, please respect my choices." Golf tries to pull up a serious face.

"Yeah yeah whatever. Will my crush like it? I mean do I look good enough?" New asks, looking at Golf.

Golf's heart constricts. He shouldn't feel hurt. After all, everything has been planned to make New's crush feel jealous. But what is this? Golf's heart races, he can hear the thuds clearly. Why am I the one to feel jealous? I was the one who put up such an idea. Dammit! I should have gone with the secret admiration. Golf sighs. I made the situation worse for me.

"Hey Golf, are you even listening to me?" New's voice breaks the chain of thoughts running havoc in Golf's mind.

"Sorry."

"I asked you a question." New says.

"I'm sorry I zoned out."

"I was asking if my crush would like me-" New starts to say, when Golf comes closer to him. "Hey what are you doing?"

"Please look at me." Golf says, staring deeply into New's eyes, humour lifted off his voice.

"I'm looking at you. You look good in that off-white suit." New smiles tightly.

"Not like that." Golf says.

"What's up with you Golf? You are making me concerned about you." New searches Golf's face.

"Can you look at just me? I mean", Golf stutters, "can you look at me with your heart?" Golf closes his eyes, as if trying to contain himself. "Can you not look at other men?" He opens his eyes, and they blaze with some unguarded emotion.