Chapter 6: Trials

When Percy walked down into the kitchen the next morning after his jog, the tension in the room was so thick, it could be cut with a knife. He was kind of tempted to take Riptide out and try.

"What's going on?"

Without looking up from her cooking, Molly replied and said, "Harry has a trial today at the Ministry of Magic." Percy remembered the old bearded man mentioning something about a ministry of sorts. To him, it just sounded like a cult of magicians deciding how to make lives miserable. Like the gods and their stupid solstice meetings.

"What'd he do? Use his magic to swipe chocolate from a grocery store?"

Molly laughed slightly and said, "No. He used magic outside of school, which is illegal, so now he needs to see what his punishment is."

"What are some of his possible punishments?"

Molly sighed and paused mixing the pancake mix to look at Percy and said, "At best, he'll be given a warning, and at worst, he'll be expelled from Hogwarts."

Percy thought that over for a moment as he grabbed an apple and sat down at the dining table. "On the bright side, if he does get expelled, I won't have to go to school anymore since I won't be able to protect him from inside there while he's out here." Percy smiled at the thought of avoiding school for another year.

Molly gave Percy a hard stare and said, "No. You'll all be going to school, and since you're a 7th year, you'll be taking your NEWT's as well. You wouldn't want to miss that."

"NEWT's?"

Molly looked at him a little confused before she laughed and said, "Of course--you haven't been to Hogwarts before. It's the test you take at the end of the year to determine how good you are in each subject. It's quite necessary when getting a job in the wizarding world--if you choose to stay here after your job from Dumbledore is over and done with."

Percy thought that over. It'd probably be a good idea to take the NEWT's and stay in the wizarding world--away from the gods and their drama. But he could tell their drama and games would follow him wherever he went.

His thoughts were interrupted as Tonks, Remus, and Arthur came down. Sirius soon followed, along with all the kids. Tonks was yawning, causing a stutter as she updated Remus on what was going on within the Ministry. Sirius was eating his food moodily--not that it was something new.

"Does your hair never sit flat?!" Molly exclaimed as she tried to comb Harry's hair. Harry smiled slightly, though nervousness was written all over his face.

Arthur was giving a run down of what the trial would be like--how he should stick to facts, his judge would be fair, it'd be okay, etc., etc. Harry looked at Sirius and asked, "Will you be coming with us?" There was hope in his voice, and Percy couldn't help but feel a little sympathy towards him. He'd been put in too many situations where he wished someone--anyone really--would stick by his side and help him out.

Sirius stabbed his eggs with a sour look. "Can't. Albus thinks it'd be too dangerous."

Molly, sensing Harry's sudden mood drop, added, "But don't worry, dear! Arthur will be going with you, and Dumbledore decided to have Percy join you so that you'll have someone your age to help you out."

"I am?" Percy looked up at Molly, who had been the first to deliever this news. Though, now that he thought about it, Albus had left a note saying he would be given an important task today.

Molly nodded and Sirius' scowl grew as Percy looked down at his toast, taking a small bite out of it, and everyone looked at him. Hermione was the first to object as she said, "Why does Percy get to go, when none of us can?"