Ch 14

Bursts of cheer exploded throughout the room. Chatters started to rise, louder and louder, each face as elated and full of eagerness as the next. I smiled to myself.

"I'm so excited!" Maia screamed, a devilish smirk forming on the corner of her lips. "My brother had been bragging about his Alespar ever since he first got it two years ago, but now the playing field is about to get even.

"Evan? I haven't seen him in forever. What does he do now?" I asked, crackling my knuckles. I wasn't that close to Maia's brother in the few months that we knew them, but for some reason, my parents was really fond of the nine year old boy then. I always thought that they wanted to have a boy, and that I was some kind of mistake. When they gave birth to Erik a few months later yet still treated me the same, I decided that I was wrong.

Until...that derogatory mark appeared on my arm. They didn't say anything, nor did they have to. I knew they did what they did for my sake, for my protection. And I knew they sent me to this school to give me my best shot. But still...I couldn't help but feel as if they resented me for it. For taking them away from the Elucaen world, their true home. Well, at least a little.

Maia shrugged, the smile slipping from her face. "He's training to be a doctor now, at one of the medical schools in Gallia. Wasteful use of his talents, if you ask me."

Before I could respond, the double doors of the caeno slammed open, and the sight was overwhelmingly breathtaking. Flocks of avian creatures with various colors swarmed inside the interior, floating just above our heads near the crystalized structures. They were just as what Professor Auclair described; small, but full of potent wonder.

I was trying to guess which one of the magnificent flying creatures was my Alespar, but luckily, I didn't have to. Because right when those doors slammed open, I felt it. I sensed a connection, like a little tug on the side of my chest, pulling me towards my destined companion.

It was faint at first, but as the tugging got harder and harder, stronger and stronger, I knew my Alespar was in close proximity. I breathed out a swift sigh, and as I steadily rotated my body around, there she was. My Alespar.

Coated in a delicate shade of Persian and celeste blue that gleamed from shards of the chandelier crystals, my dragonelle was easily the most beautiful and magnificent creature I had ever laid my eyes on. Though her body and tail were small-scaled components in comparison to the dragons I was raised up learning about in fairytales, the magnitude of her wings told a different tale. Her soft forest green eyes held a questioning glance as she floated lightly towards me, each flap of wings filled with a wondrous fascination.

She halted to a stop a few centimeters away from me, her eyes leveled with mine.

Are you...Erin Mesineux? a soft voice asked hesitantly as it echoed resonantly throughout my mind.

I almost jumped back in surprised before remembering that Alespars were only able to communicate solely with their Elucaen companion with the exception of other Alespars.

I gave her a reassuring smile, yet I couldn't do anything to lessen my own nervousness. "Yes, I am. And you are?"

Great! the voice replied in a chipper tone. I felt drawn to you by our connection string, but I was just making sure. I'm Syrenes, but you can call me Sy if you want.

"It's nice to meet you, Sy, but what connection string are you talking about?"

You know, the one that each Alespar has with their Elucaen. It's like what it means; if you're in hurt or in danger, then I would be able to feel it, or in general any strong emotions that you feel at a particular time, and vice versa.