Ch. 2

After a few more pushing and shoving minutes, we finally arrived in front of one of the most beautiful houses I have ever laid my eyes on. Its Mount Everest stature towered over us as it gave off a shadow that seemed to stretch for miles on end, radiating off an inviting yet intimidating feeling all the same. The sleek gray roofs could be seen slanting at an angle from the white-stoned house, while the glass windows were covered with two sets of pastel curtains, giving it that final touch of elegance. (add more description)

"Dad, you used to live here?" I asked, watching my dad as his eyes held a hint of wistfulness.

"Twenty four years," he responded, giving off a sigh.

I then walked up the sidewalk and pressed the circular doorbell parallel to the mahogany door, its chime resonating the fact that all of this...was real. Up until now, I tried asking as little as possible due to my father's request, but my head was about to explode with the number of thoughts and questions that was dying to be released.

Thoughts such as, "Why do portals exist? What is that mark branded on my arm? Where exactly is this place?" swirled around my head, begging for permission to be let out.

When a minute passed yet no sounds nor movements had any indication that anyone was home, I turned sideways and asked, "Maybe they're no-" but the sudden sound of slight footsteps stopped me mid-sentence.

A few moments later, the door opened and we stared face to face, with the woman who came to known as my grandmother.

She bursted into tears. "John, is that you?" the woman asked with a thickened French accent.

"Yes, mom, I'm home," my dad responded with a sad smile.

"Where have you been? I know you said you and Kristi were leaving, but we didn't expect you to not keep in touch," she cried, embracing him.

"And my grandchild! After their birth, you and Kristi left immediately...and we never heard from you since. What in the world happened?"

I half-waved. "Hi, I'm Erin...I think I'm the grandchild you were referring to."

Her eyes shifted to mine and her complexion paled as if she just seen a ghost."Charles! Come to the door right now please!" she called, and seconds later, an elderly man with winter-white hair appeared, looking as shock as his wife.

"Seventeen years...and now you finally visit?" the man asked, anger quickly replacing his initial surprise.

My dad stared at them apologetically. "I deeply apologize, father. I promise there's a reason why we had to cut off all contact, but now I need to talk to you both about something very important."

As if sensing the direness of the situation, my grandfather nodded. "Speak."

"We have reason to believe that our daughter, Erin, " pausing to look at me, "has been branded by Mortema."

After a deafening silence, my grandmother announced, "I think you better come inside. You have a lot of explaining to do."

For a fleeting second my eyes met my grandmother's, but instead of the typical joy and happiness one would expect at a reunion, her eyes were filled with sympathy.

"John, you and Kristi come with us into the study. And Erin," my grandfather paused as he gave an awkward cough, "you can go anywhere you like."

"We'll be right back, sweetie," my mom whispered as she passed me.

Once the last person filed out of the living room, I sighed in relief. Meeting my grandparents-whom I thought was dead for half my life- was not exactly the experience an eighteen year old would expect.

A minuscule black object suddenly caught the corner of my eye, and that was when I noticed how different their house was compared to ours. Not just because it was bigger and better-looking, but it had some sort of...foreign aura to it. Something I couldn't decipher.

Before my curiosity got the best of me, a cleared throat could be heard from behind, knocking me back into reality.

My dad looked me in the eye and said, "I think we need to talk. We think it's time you know."

"Know what?" I asked as I sat across from them in the dining room, with my grandparents who stood right behind.

"Know who you truly are."

"And that is..." I probed.

My mom took a deep breath and uttered out the one thing that would change my life forever. "Erin, you're an Elucaen."