Ch. 8

We arrived at the airport just in time, with a few minutes to spare. The air felt cool against my skin, and apart from the occasional sounds of airplanes' take offs and landings, the area was, for the most part, noiseless. It was then that reality finally sunk its teeth in me with the fact that this moment could possibly be the very last time I would ever see my parents, but I was not ready to face that reality. Not just yet.

"I'm going to mi-miss you guys so much," I stuttered, my voice on the verge of breaking.

Mom started to envelope me in a bear hug while she tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ears. "Oh sweetie, we're going to miss you so much too. But no matter what happens, against all odds, always remember to be strong and be brave. Can you promise me that?"

"I'll try my best," I promised, my voice muffled against her shoulders.

Dad then joined the hug, whispering, "Don't ever change yourself to please others, but rather be the motivation that drives them to better themselves. We believe in you, Erin, so all you have to do is just believe in yourself. I have no doubt that we-no, you- can beat this curse, but whatever happens, just know that we love you very much."

"Your father is absolutely right. You're a very smart girl, so with just the right amount of work, I believe you can accomplish anything that you put your mind to it. Oh, please don't cry honey, and just have some faith; you'll never know, a little faith can go a long way," Mom added as she gingerly wiped the tear drops from my cheeks.

"I know...but please don't forget to write often."

"We'll try our best, if only you do too, of course."

"I will, I promise." I pulled away and looked them both in the eyes; the very last memory I would have of them.

Dad ruffled up my hair. "Erin, it's time. Remember to write as soon as you're settled in, alright? No rush, just take your time."

"I love you guys so much; good bye!" I said cheerfully, before turning my back and started walking into the plane's tunnel. I didn't glance back, because I was afraid I would not be able to continue if I did. There was no turning back now.

---

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. We will be arriving shortly in London. Please keep your seatbelt fastened at all times and for your own safely, please do not, under any circumstances, leave your seat. Thank you for your attention," the flight attendant announced in an emphatic manner.

That was my first time on a plane. We never traveled much, but we didn't have a reason to either. I knew how flights and airplanes worked, yet the experience was exhilarating all the same. Initially, I couldn't grasp why grandfather couldn't have just given us the location of the gariam portal that would lead straight to the Anglian capital, but my parents insisted that it would be safer if I had journeyed there the human way. No argument there, but it was quite time-consuming.

As I straightened up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, it soon came to my attention that most passengers were doing the exact same thing. The creaks of backseats being adjusted could be heard just as I felt a mild pain shot from the side of my head, a clear indication of over-thinking and stress.

I lightly shook my head as an attempt to diffuse it before finally noticing the glistening substance apparent against the wooly pink of my sweater, the salivary result of a prolonged sleep. I grunted in disgust and checked the belongings in my bag.

Grandfather had offered to take my trunk to the school beforehand, and it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Unlike a suitcase, it didn't have a handle where pulling was possible, so the prospect of carrying the heavy rectangular box all the way to the school was enough to make me shudder.