six

╮that hurt╰

╮that hurt╰

Everyone in the locker room was alive with chatter, each player engrossed into their own conversation, laughing as a joke was shouted out. The team was excited about their game, finally confident about pulling out a possible win.

Jesse and Peter walked into the locker room, sat down and hung their heads, hurt by the things they had just heard their coach saying a few minutes ago. No one seemed to notice the dejected boys though as everyone was too busy either trying to get themselves ready for the game or talking to those near them.

"Are we still hanging at the pond tomorrow?" Fulton asked, watching Hayden lightly wrapped her wrist in athletic tape. He had asked her what she was doing, confused as to what she was doing. Hayden had explained how her brother advised herself to wrap her wrists before games to prevent injury.

"Yeah, of course!" Hayden looked up and smiled at him. "What time were you thinking about meeting?" She asked.

"You have pretty eyes." Fulton blurted out, ignoring her question.

Hayden turned to put the tape in her locker in a failed attempt to hide the blush that spread across her cheeks and ran down her neck. While setting the athletic tape down, she grabbed both their jerseys and handed his to him.

"Thank you." Hayden smiled, her cheeks still a bright red.

He watched as Hayden pulled her jersey over her head and shoulder pads before she sat at the end of the bench beside them and pick up her skates, only to start fiddling with the laces instead of slipping them on. She looked up at him and smiled before she quickly stood back up and leaned against the lockers, taking his hand to play with his fingers nervously.

Both turned to look at Charlie and Connie, watching as the two stood from the bench beside them to hound their conversation.

"Where's coach?" Charlie asked, his eyebrows furrowed as he looked between Fulton and Hayden.

"I think I saw him headed for the rink when I went to the bathroom a few minutes ago. I don't know why he'd be going out their so early, though." Hayden answered him. She hadn't thought it was suspicious that their coach was headed into the rink when the earlier team hadn't even fully left yet but now that she was explaining it to Charlie, her suspension grew.

"The Hawks haven't even left the rink yet though," Connie stated, frowning.

"Why would he need to go out there if they haven't left?" Fulton asked, their suspension growing within the group of four.