Bog Beasts (Part 3)

The next morning, Hickory took the troupe to a small cave around the west side of the bog.

Once they went inside, they saw that Hickory's theory was right; the cave was filled with artifacts that the Bog Beast had, including Branch's package.

But, once Branch had taken the package, the whole Bog Beast attack started happening again.

Everyone ran outside, but was cornered by a huge cliff.

Delta shouted, "Don't worry, y'all! There's no beast I can't handle!"

But, Branch shouted, "Actually, now's the time we find out exactly what we're up against!"

Branch had packed a giant fan to blow away the smoke.

Wani asked, "Wait, you've been carrying that around this whole time?"

Branch asked, "What?"

Anyways, Branch turned it on and the smoke started to blow away revealing...a group of small, komodo dragon-like reptiles.

Everyone gasped at the discovery, but Biggie said, "Smokeskin dragons."

Everyone yelled, "What?!"

Barb said, "You know about these things?"

Biggie replied, "I've read about them once in a book, but I didn't think they were real."

Trollex then said, "So, you went with 'Bog Beast' instead?"

Biggie shouted, "That's just the kind of Troll I am!"

Hickory then said, "There's no use in arguing about it. What we need now is to figure out is how to escape."

Branch said, "Right! Biggie, what do we know?"

Biggie said, "Well, they're sort of like finders keepers critters: They're extremely possessive, and they live in a group. They use their breath to create a cloud of smoke to hide themselves. And that's basically all I know."

Poppy then shouted, "Ok, people. I've already got a plan to escape: On the count of three, I'm gonna use my flare and hopefully, that'll scare them long enough for us to escape."

"1...2...3!"

Poppy shot her flare and just as she thought, the Smokeskin dragons all got scared and ducked their heads in fear, leaving the trapped troupe enough time to get out.

They all ran for their lives to the exit of the bog, only to have the dragons right behind them.

Tresillo shouted, "Nosotros estamos condenados!"

Wani shouted, "우린 절대 살아 나지 않을거야!"

Dickory shouted, "Ich hatte heute Morgen nicht aufstehen sollen!"

Trollzart shouted, "They're right behind us! What do we do?!"

Branch then came up with a plan, "They're extremely possessive! Everyone grab whatever you have on you and throw it at them!"

Everyone did just that. DJ Suki threw another set of headphones she had on her, Biggie threw a spare hug watch, Trollex threw some neon accessories, Delta threw some old buttons, and so on.

The plan was working; with everything they threw, the amount of dragons chasing them decreased until finally, the last couple of dragons went after one of Barb's guitar picks.

Everyone stopped and sighed with relief when they were finally out of the bog, and with what they went there for.

***

Back in Pop Village, Branch had opened the package to find...his grandmother's knitted coat.

Branch said, "Her coat. It was one of her favorite things to wear. She wore it practically all the time. Sometimes, she would let me sleep with it during the night whenever I got scared."

Branch then turned to his friends and said, "I never would've gotten this back if you hadn't helped me. Thank you all."

Everyone said you're welcome and everyone grouped in for one of the most heartfelt group hugs Branch ever had.

***

That night, Branch got ready for bed.

Once he got into bed, he grabbed his grandma's coat and hugged it tight as he fell fast asleep.