"That would mean getting close to her and I can't do that." He told his friend, keeping his back to Will so he wouldn't see the anguish he was sure was on his face.

"Why not?" The softness in his friend's query was so unlike what he knew of Will that Don found himself smiling bitterly.

"Because it'll only make things worse." Deciding 'what the hell', Don poured himself a fifth of whisky and tossed it back in one gulp before pouring another. "Humans can't form a mate bond. Being close to her will strengthen the pull she has for me and without that bond my wolf will go crazy. You know that."

"Maybe she's not human."

Don sighed at that bit of unfounded optimism. "We smelled only Humans in that lobby." He replied wearily. "It's been a long day," he stated unwilling to hear more of Will's attempts to comfort him. "I think I'll go to bed."

"Sure thing man." Will agreed though it was barely seven and they'd planned to tour the Human city's nightlife.

What could he do? The idea of going to some nightclub and possibly hooking up with some random girl turned his stomach. Much as he wanted to do just that and forget the girl he'd seen, he couldn't.

Any more than he could forget the soul-deep touch her eyes had enacted. Could a Human touch a Were to the mate bond level? It'd never happened before. The history books had accounts of Weres who'd tried to bond with a Human and in all they'd ended up killing the Human.

Don wondered what he'd ever done to deserve all life had thrown him. Sure he was a beta, now a Beta, but his former Alphas had taken his parents away from the pack when he'd still needed them. Then Jake had taken his brother away and denied him his birthright. Now he had a Human for a mate.

It was tempting to curse the goddess but his recent encounter with her sealed his lips. Better to keep her somewhat happy with him than be on her bad side.

He went into the shower, making sure to fold his clothes onto a chair before entering the shower stall. As he allowed the too-hot water to beat into him, he laid his forehead against the tiles and allowed despair to take over.

Wasn't it enough to be exiled to the Human world? Did the goddess have to add a Human mate to the pain of being away from his home, his people? Away from the magic that saturated the air he breathed and everything he lived that he'd taken it for granted.

How was he ever going to survive this barren place? How long was he expected to survive? How much was he supposed to survive?

A mate was a sacred thing, something all his people longed for. She was supposed to hold the other half of his soul, to enhance the abilities he'd been born with. How was a Human to do that?

A mated pair was an almost unbeatable force, so attuned and able to infiltrate their enemy ground without being caught. That was the main reason the Moon had strengthened something the Almighty had already in place.

Every person, even Humans had a soulmate but for the mythkind, the gods that had chosen and magically altered them had made the need for them paramount. So Don couldn't even face his mate and have to reject her.

Jake Estaungffe was the first Were he'd ever heard to reject a mate but that bastard was one for too many firsts. And Don had been helpless to prevent most of those.

Was that why he had a Human mate? As much as he wanted to deny the coughing girl as his, the persistent hole inside him belied the denial. It was a need that he knew could only be sated with her presence, with her touch.

He hadn't realised when he'd seen her that she was his, in fact, he couldn't recall her scent. It should've been all he'd been able to smell but he was sure he hadn't scented her. Maybe she wasn't even his mate. Maybe being away from his people was messing with his head.

He could just be missing being around them, around the magic and having a purpose and was just fixating on her. The loss of a pack had to affect a guy in some way right? It didn't mean he had a mate, their kind found a mate way later in life. Never mind that Nia had found hers at seventeen.

Goddess! He was too young for all this drama.

'Don.' His Gamma bespoke him. 'You need to come back down.'

Don frowned. He had no idea how long he'd been in the shower but Will's tone spelled trouble. What could his friend have done already? 'What is it?' He asked as he closed the water valve and took up the drying towel.

'We're needed.' Was all his Gamma said.

Don's frown deepened, whilst Weres did frequent this Human city they never stayed long enough to get into trouble and they came prepared. Who could possibly need them? Don though was a Beta and if his Gamma saw a need then he'd meet it as needed.

'Okay, give me five.'

Copyright© Tafadzwa Josephine Kashiri™.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This is the literary property of Tafadzwa Kashiri and is not licensed for unauthorized reuse, reprint, photocopying or any other mechanical/electronic reproduction.