Chapter 8

With a compass and map in hand, Finn made his way to the front of the group.  Wells stood at his side, watching him cautiously.  Monty and Jasper followed behind, engulfed in conversation and giggling.

I, as usual, was walking by myself, trailing the group.  Just in front of me walked Octavia, taking in sights around us.  She appeared as happy as can be.  Then, she slowed her pace to fall in step with me.

"Hey!" she chirped.

"Hey!" I managed back as brightly as I could.  "How—"

"What—"

We began talking at the same time, unsure of how to continue the conversation.  We laughed awkwardly before I suggested, "Go ahead."

"Well, I just wanted to say... What's going on with you and my brother?"

I scoffed.  "What do you mean what's going on with me and your brother?  You know what happened."

"Of course I know what happened... but you're Bellamy and Clarke.  You always work things out."

I could feel her eyes on me so I turned to face her as we walked.  She looked at me with sad eyes.  I turned away quickly so I wouldn't become emotional myself.

"I don't know what to say, O.  I want to work things out, but I can't... And even if I could forgive him for what he did, I don't think he would ever forgive me." I sighed, realizing how much I missed Bellamy in my life.

"But it was an accident!  You made a mistake!" she shouted, causing the boys to give us a glance.

We stared back at them awkwardly before bursting into laughter like we were back in Earth Skills Class.  "...It wasn't on purpose, though.  You would never hurt him like that," she assured me, "He knows that deep down... He's just taking longer than I expected to realize."

I looked to her with emotion in my eyes.  "Thank you, O."

She nodded and smiled at me.  "Now your turn" she laughed.

"Right... Well I guess I just wanted to ask you: How come you forgave me?"

"I already answered your question."

I looked at her in confusion.  She explained: "You made a mistake.  I know you would never hurt me or Bellamy.  You care about both of us."

"I do."

I stopped walking for a moment to face Octavia.  "What is it?" she said, stopping to face me.

I looked at her nervously, feeling uncomfortable.  Should I?  "Clarke is everything okay?  You don't look—"

Screw it.  I threw my arms around her tightly and hugged her.  It felt so good to let someone in.  She stumbled back a moment and let out a relieved sigh.  She wrapped her arms around me tightly.  "I love you, Clarke."

"I love you, too."