Chapter 12

Renessme let days lapse into weeks with the same routine.

She would jog early in the morning with Theo discussing various classical works and oddly enough the psychology behind the pieces. He was passionate about clinical psychology and his parents insisted he be well versed in music. He played the violin, but enjoyed dissecting the emotion behind pieces more. No one knew about her morning jogging partner yet. For some reason she felt the need to keep him a secret and not share him with the world. It was silly considering he probably had friends of his own and didn't need Cole or Hazel and Jacob and her family obviously could not make friendships considering the immortality bit. Yet she felt if she even spoke of their morning together it would ruin it. Currently the only theory she had for her feelings were that of doctor/patient confidentiality. Theo had become somewhat of a psychologist guru to her.

Classes were a breeze. Even physics had been simplified thanks to Cole and Hazel. She still found the theories perplexing considering her family defied them, but at least she could get the correct answers for class. Most days she would go to their house to complete homework despite Jacob's growing reluctance. She had caught a few more snippets of strange conversation between Cole and Hazel and even their parents, but she still had no idea what to make of it all.

Once while they ran around in their mirror maze, Cole had harshly whispered to Hazel, 'you're too bright' when the topic had nothing to do with academics.

Another time while in the kitchen, Hazel's eyes had gotten wide and mouthed to Cole, 'your hand disappeared' but he was just sitting up on the counter with his hand in a cookie jar and it came out whole with a cookie firmly in his grasp.

And the conversation she overheard with their parents was even stranger. This time they had gone inside to great their parents and not realizing she could hear everything, they had talked freely.

"Mom you'll be so psyched! Check it out! Do you feel it?" Hazel's voice was loud and excited.

"Hazel sweetie, shh your friend Nessie."

"She is outside. So do you?!"

"Yes it is warm. Oh! Even getting warmer. Your training has been paying off! How about you Cole? Last week I actually shivered."

"Even better this week. I can even take it away from Hazel. Just from around her though. Is it weird that Nessie is warmer than usual?"

"Perhaps that is her deal!" Hazel exclaimed.

"Or she may be losing control. Something I hear both of you need to be working on." Their father finally spoke up. His voice always coming off as stern and by the book.

In her mind she had pictured Hazel creating flames and Cole creating ice, but the pieces just didn't quite fit. And it was obvious that they could sense she was different. She just didn't know how, or why, or when they did finally confront her what lie she would tell. The truth was strictly forbidden.

The most rewarding of the past couple of weeks had been her developing relationship with Jacob. Still nervous, they had progressed very slowly with their physical relationship. A few moments had become intense, but mostly they had maintained their same easy repartee.

One moment in particular, Renessme knew she would cherish forever. They had just finished going out on a 'date' in his backyard where he had set up a movie projector to play on a sheet strung up between two trees. He had placed lanterns in various places to give off a small glow but not interrupt with the film. After the movie was over she felt tingly and excited and didn't want the night to end so he had suggested they go for a drive. So they jumped into his pick-up and drove with the windows down, warm air blowing in her hair, the salty smell of the ocean fresh in their faces. They stopped at an embankment on the side of a hill which overlooked part of the town, but mostly just the vast black ocean below. He teased her that it was where couples came to make-out and they had even kissed for a few minutes, but then he had relaxed back against his truck and her melting into him staring into the universe with all its stars. It was in that moment that she felt small and limited in comparison to the great expanse above her. The stars above her had seen the beginning and the would continue to see everything until the very end long after she was gone. Her heart had beat just a little faster in moment of both panic and peace as she realized a great truth: her life was not eternal but with an end that could be at that moment or very far away, but she would only have that moment once. And it just so happened that at that precise moment with Jacob, she was content yet slightly frightened with that truth.

Theo had spoken about how many artist's music had changed and become the revolutionary pieces known today once the artist had found God and the infinite presence within their souls. She wondered if that was what had happened in that moment. Or would there be something greater that happened in her life to open up her eyes? She still felt a deep tug within her that said there was something more.

------------

A/N: I apologize for switching POV. It bugs me that I started one way and have switched to another and if I were writing an original rather than fanfic I might go back and change it, but the essence of the story is the same. I just hope it doesn't drive any fans away. I am super excited about where this story is headed! Any guesses? :)