Meeting in the Dark

Travis and Katie? Nico had obviously spent to many months away from camp. Nico could tell they were in love, even from a meeting of two minutes(and besides the point that they said they love each other). He wondered who else was in love at camp these days.
'No. You don't care about love.' Nico scolded himself.
As the night dragged on, Nico started to wonder if he could out-run Katie. He was so sick of being in the infirmary. But then again, Katie was most likely faster. She had the slim body of a fast runner. Plus there's the fact that the harpies would get him, or Katie, if he ran. Or if the harpies wouldn't kill him, Will sure as hell would. Nope. Running was not an option. He was stuck, in the dark, all alone.
Of course, he had Katie to keep him company. Although Nico was starting to suspect she was day dreaming about Travis and doodling his name on the page corners of her book. One time he asked for some water, and she replied, "Sure Travis! Wait no, I mean Nico. Sorry..." She then blushed furiously in the torchlight. She obviously didn't talk about dating Travis much.
When Nico was so desperate for something to do, he decided to give socializing a try. "So... You and Travis huh?" Nico asked. She dropped her book then fumbled for it again mid-air. "Wha-wha-what do you mean?" He stared at her like, 'duh!'
She slowly walked over to him. "You, weren't asleep, were you." she sat on the bed next to Nico. In turn, Nico sat up, then shook his head slowly. "Nope."
"Oh. You weren't supposed to see that. Sorry."
"Sorry? Why would you be sorry? You two are in love. So what? I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was still up. I kinda felt like I was spying." Katie giggled. "Well technically, you were hiding in the dark, watching us, so... You were spying by definition." They both laughed. "Not on purpose!" Nico defended himself. "Okay but seriously. When did you and Travis...?"
"Um, about three months now. Don't tell anyone though okay? I wouldn't tell you if I didn't trust you. No one really knows, except for Conner, a few of my sisters, Will, and a couple of Travis's siblings and friends. Oh and you know too."
"Okay but why not tell anyone? Are you ashamed or something?"
"Oh my gods no! I would never be ashamed of loving Travis! It's just, dating gets a lot of attention at camp, and I don't want the attention." Nico paused from the conversation. Why was he about to give dating advice to someone when he has never had a relationship himself?
"I think you should be open about it. Not like running around camp screaming 'I'M DATING TRAVIS!' But like hanging out with him in public and answering honestly if someone asks about you two. Once everyone knows, the whole thing will die down within a week. Remember how excited everyone was when Percy and Annabeth started dating? Then by the next week, no one really talked about it anymore? That way you two don't have to meet in the dark anymore." Katie stared at him. Nico started to think that maybe he crossed the line, when Katie reached over and hugged him. Nico didn't do hugs, or any physical contact. Being hugged twice in two days, first by Jason, then by Katie, not to mention holding hands with Will... Nico's brain was about to overload. Then he realized he was hugging Katie back, and for that quick moment, Nico felt... Wanted.
Footsteps echoed through the infirmary. He and Katie turned to the entrance of the infirmary. Standing at the entrance in the torchlight was a tall blond boy wearing a red sweater with a zipper, a plain black shirt and grey fuzzy pyjama bottoms. He stared through the darkness looking straight at Nico. Katie sharply stood up. "Will! What are you doing here? I thought we agreed that you shouldn't take another night shift." Will didn't reply, staring at Nico as if he didn't hear Katie at all. Nico returned the stare. Everything blocked out of Nico's senses. He couldn't hear Katie calling both their names. He couldn't see her looking back and forth. He couldn't feel her shaking his shoulders. There was only Will. In the dim light, Will's eyes looked solid black. His shoulders were back and tense. One hand was in his sweater pocket, the other hanging at his side. Nico watched as the other boy turned and walked out in one swift movement. The world came into focus again. Nothing else mattered now. Nico leaped off the bed and ran through the infirmary. Katie started after him, but that didn't matter. Just Will. He ran through the infirmary entrance and turned around in a full circle. Will had disappeared in the dark. Nico blindly ran off to his left. Katie was still shouting his name, but she faded out in the distance.
Nico ran top speed, not going in any general direction. Camp was different in the dark. Nico found himself in the middle of all the cabins. The gods on one side and goddesses on the other. The cabins made the shape of Ω, with the newer cabins stretching out on each end. Nico's brain was overloading. Subconsciously he was yelling at himself. 'What are you doing out here?! Go back inside! Bad idea! Very bad idea!' But the rest of his brain only thought one thing, Will.
Then things got even worse. In The corner of Nico's eye, he saw something large moving around him. Then a flapping sound across from him. A squawk in front of him. Similar shapes and sounds surrounded him, getting closer at an alarming rate. Nico was stuck in the dark, not knowing what was surrounding him. Then a squeaky voice behind him called, "Are you treat for us? We like treats!" Similar voices chirped in agreement. Nico started to panic. He turned in circles, trying to get a view of his attackers. He reached for his sword that wasn't there. He left it under his bed in the infirmary. "You will be delicious treat! Been a while since we had treat!" Nico's brain registered everything to late. Feathers were in his mouth. Beaks tore at his skin. Claws scratched at his clothes. Nico fell to the ground as the monsters continued their squawking and clawing and pecking. This was how he was going to die. By harpies, because he blindly ran outside into the dark.
Anger radiated through him. Skeleton hands appeared out of the earth and clawed at the harpies. Once the skeletal hands got a grip on a harpie, it pulled it down into the earth. Slowly the pecking and squawking stopped. A coolness rushed over Nico. It felt like he was shadow traveling. But that wasn't it. Nico's vision went dark as the ground seemed to be welcoming him into it. He was melting into the shadows.