Chapter Eleven: Eighth Year - Part IV

Start from the beginning

Relieved that Iris actually listened to him, Hermes finally entered the Three Broomsticks and looked around.

"Over here!"

Hermes beamed when he spotted Harry and Ron cramped in one of the private booths at the very back of the shop. Harry was excitedly waving his arm and Hermes didn't hesitate in zooming past the other tables until he was hugging his best friends.

"Hello, wankers," Hermes greeted. He released a mock gasp as he beheld his best friends and clenched both of their arms. "Are those... are those muscles?"

"Git," Ron laughed, hitting him playfully on his shoulder. He slid inside the booth beside Harry and boyishly grinned at the eighth year. "Training's been wearing as down so naturally we gain these babies." He comically flexed his biceps, prompting Harry to gag and Hermes to guffaw boisterously.

"So, how's our favorite swot?" Harry asked. "Gin's been telling me you're buried in books everyday. Didn't we tell you to get a life, you wanker?"

"NEWTs are just around the corner so naturally, I have to study," he said with a roll of his eyes. "We've been friends for eight years and you still question why I'm like this?"

Harry sighed and shook his head. "I feared you're going to lose your adventurous streak just because we're not with you anymore," he gravelly said.

Hermes then proceeded to ask about their new lives as aurors. Ron recounted a particular mission regarding a cursed doll and the booby trap that sent him to the hospital. Harry would interject once in a while and Hermes smiled, contented to listen to their animated storytelling.

Briefly, a flashback of the good ol' days with his best friends crossed his mind. It was wonderful spending some time with Harry and Ron once more. He realized he really did miss them both and Hogwarts wasn't the same without them.

"So..." Harry said, breaking the silence that befell after Ron's anecdote. "Why did you really invite us over for Hogsmeade Day, Hermes?"

The nervousness he had had been feeling since this morning came back full force. "What?" he lightly lied with a small, nervous smile. "Isn't missing you reason enough?"

The-Boy-Who-Lived quirked an eyebrow and exchanged glances with Ron. "So, something's definitely wrong," the bespectacled man said with a reverent nod.

"Perhaps a girl?" the redhead offered with a playful glint in his eyes.

Harry pulled out his wand and muttered a soft 'Finite Incantatem' at the stunned brunet. "Not under a spell and such," Harry confirmed. "Definitely a girl." Harry slightly leaned towards the silent Gryffindor, a silent challenge in his eyes. "Or, you're going to pull out that 'thinking of a Potions project' crap once more, Hermes?"

He knew it! Harry didn't buy his excuse one time during their sixth year. A wry smile appeared on Hermes' face in spite of himself. Harry could be awfully sharp and he lamented all those years wasted from studying all because he was the bloody hero of the Wizarding World. Maybe, Harry could actually manage to climb at the top of their class with that perceptive brain of his.

"Blimey," Ron breathed out when Hermes' hadn't retorted anything in return. His blue eyes widened in shock as he swiveled back at Harry. "There's a fucking girl."

A triumphant grin spread on Harry's face when Hermes turned into a magnificent shade of red. He nervously rubbed the nape of his neck and shifted his eyes away from their eager glances.

"Well..." he started. Hermes tried to rack his brain how to reveal to his best friends he'd been dating Iris Malfoy for a few months now. "There is a girl."