Night Sky

The evening wind billowed through Ade's light shirt as he walked towards Berger market after alighting from a bus. He knew she was going to be there, with her pretty smiling face, gazing up at passersby.

"Keja last bus stop!" called out a few bus conductors as they moved along with their respective buses.
Berger was filled up with people who were either going home or selling at this time of the day. Multitudes moved quickly to enter tricycles, motorbikes and taxis, while some stood in front of items to be sold, haggling at the top of their voices.

Some beggars held their plastic bowls crawling around to beg people for money. Ade felt sad for them. It wasn't easy at all.
Just then, he sighted Nene sitting on a wooden stool with her torchlight hung on one side of her neck. Bright white light shone from the torch onto the yams in front of her.

" Buy your yam here, 3 3 hundred, 2 five hundred" he heard her call out. Her voice gave him this sweet feeling in his stomach. He didn't know how to explain it. As he got to her space, he said "Nene, good evening".
***********************************
Nene was shocked! How did he get to know her name?  Nevertheless, she gave him a shy smile. " Good evening Sir" she greeted.
"Good evening, I know you're surprised that I know your name. Calm down. I heard your mum call you 'Nene' last week." He explained.

Nene nodded in understanding. "Oh okay..." then she did what she had never done to a customer before. She asked for his name.
"Ade Oni" he replied. "I graduated from unilag two years ago and I work at a cyber cafe in Ogba" he added. 'Guy, who send you message? Who asked you?' his inner voice complained. Ade wasn't one to start talking about himself to strangers, but he felt this warm aura around Nene.

Nene smiled, she felt compelled to tell him a little about herself too. " I'm Nene, I'm a student at Grammar school, SS3. I'll soon write my SSCE   in a few weeks from now ". She only said this because her mother wasn't around. Mama Nene felt weak from stress and so she stayed back at home while Nene came to sell.

" Where's Mama?" Ade asked.
Nene shook her head sadly "She's not feeling too strong. She's at home resting. By God's grace, she'll be here tomorrow"

"Wow, I pray she gets better. So only you will be here now. Wouldn't you feel lonely?"

Nene chuckled "No naa, not really, I have people around me. The shouting is more than enough company"

Ade decided to test the waters. "Can I sit with you for a few minutes, I promise I'll buy yam before I go" he noticed a small stool next to her and hoped that she would accept his request.

She was suddenly on guard but decided to allow him sit, although she shifted a bit from him. Didn't want to get too familiar.

Ade stared a the moon slightly covered by clouds as it prepared to reveal more of its white celestial beauty. He didn't know what to say again.
"Nene, did you know that the moon is actually dark?" He blurted out.

After giving a customer, 200 naira balance, she turned to him. "Dark? What are you saying? The moon is white, look at it, it gives us light"  she argued.
Ade picked up a yam and a black nylon.
He put the yam into the nylon, gave her money and stood up, looking into the night sky.

"Scientists who researched on the moon, said that the Moon's surface is actually dark but compared to the night sky, it appears very bright" then he turned to Nene "You may think that you're nothing, alone, but you mean a lot to others. Just like the moon's surface is dark but it gives light to the earth. Goodnight Nene", and with those words, Ade walked away.
*************************************
Yaay 😜😜 Hope you enjoyed reading, I wrote this chapter 'as the spirit leads' 😜😜. To those who have been reading, voting and commenting, I want to say a very big thank you. I really appreciate - Tee Spice.