Chapter 4 - Bittersweet

Singto's POV

The fact that Krist came for the first round of auditions? I knew it. Of course I did.

How could I not, when Mike, Krist's best buddy and somehow, don't even ask me, our faculty's next-in-line to being the Head Hazer whom I train myself nowadays, kept running his mouth all over the place last week boasting on how his best friend got called for a TV series audition?

It took only a few more subtle nudges here and there, to make him spill all that he knew of the auditions. And after that, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that both me and Krist have, indeed, been called for the same auditions.

What fate...

Last week during the first rounds, I did, with utmost difficulty, try to spot a white shirt tucked into black trousers among the crowd, but to no avail. Later that day, I nearly went and asked Mike why I didn't see Krist at the auditions, but fortunately stopped myself in time before getting busted. After all, I might've failed to notice since there were so many contestants there on that day!

Come to think of it now though...why did I even bother checking for the formal attire, when the whole faculty know by now that Krist Perawat wears his, only on the twelfth of Never?!

Sigh...

However, during the hazer meeting today morning, while giving out duties, I saw Krist from one corner of my eye, talking in hushed tones to Mike who was beside him.

Seemingly, an argument.

And he did not seem to be in a hurry to leave for anything, like an audition, for example...

After the meeting, I even waited in the room a while longer, just in case he'd come asking for permission to exempt him from duties for the day. But since he never did, I figured out, with much disappointment, that he might not have made it to the finals.

Cz one simply cannot just ditch duties. I'm the Head Hazer after all...

So then, how could the man himself possibly be standing here?!

Sweating from head to toe, shirt wrinkled and soaked, heaving loud breaths and eyes blown wide. And...

WAIT A MINUTE...

"Did you go for your duties today?"

"...."

I'm waiting...

"Ahh...yes. Duties"

That was a squeak I just heard right?

"You did?"

"I did!"

"You did?"

"Half...?"

This mischievous little imp!

But rather than the rise of temper that I was expecting to feel, I felt a certain sense of familiarity and fondness coursing through me. A simple permission was all he needed, but then again, it wouldn't simply be Mr. Perawat if he cannot get two or three rules broken in the process of getting the most uncomplicated work done.

I just didn't have the heart to drag the issue any further...

"Ahh right. Okay. Fine", I waved my hand, dismissing it.

"Phi is here for the auditions too?", Krist asked with his doe eyes nearly bulging out of its sockets.

I could sense him trying his hardest to diverge the topic, and I was most happy to indulge.