Chapter Nineteen

They didn't leave the hotel until noon.

The car ride home was silent, but not tense like the night before. The two were hand-in-hand as Lucio drove, a comfortable aura surrounding them. However, Genji had questions floating around in his head that were making him overthink. Before he could stop it, one of the questions slipped out.

"Are we a thing now?"

The Brazilian glanced over at him, a hint of surprise in his expression. "Like, a couple?"

He nodded, staring out the window. "Yeah... Are we boyfriends now?"

He looked over at the driver, whose eyes were now on the road. "I don't know," Lucio answered slowly. "I haven't been asked out yet."

A small smile grazed the Asian's lips. "May I do the honors?"

The musician returned the grin. "You may."

Genji pressed a quick kiss to the back of the other's hand. "Lucio Correia de Santos..." He licked his lips, a wave of nervousness coming over him. "Will you--"

A car born blared and their eyes shot towards the road. The car came at them so fast it was almost impossible to react. Lucio swerved to the right as quickly as possible and his arm flew across the other's chest. The horn sounded again, followed by a crash.

The windshield shattered, and the college student immediately shielded his face as glass rained down on them. There were two loud fwoosh noises as the airbags popped out. The sharp and quick crunch of metal quickly stopped and was replaced by other, louder noises - hissing steam, car alarms, panicked cries from nearby drivers who had stopped to help. But inky one noise brought Genji back to reality: a strained groan from Lucio.

The Japanese man spun around, ignoring the pain pulsing through his arm. Panic shot through him like lightning when he saw the shards of glass in Lucio's arm, along with the damage the airbag had done to his face. He ignored the pain in his arm as he shifted more to face the musician. "Lu, are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, just... Just fine." He turned to look at Genji and have him a weak smile. Alarm rushed through him as he realized the side of Lucio's head was bloody. "Don't worry about me..."

He watched as the Brazilian's eyes started to flutter shut. The Shimada stared in shock, trying to fully process what had happened. After a minute or two, he realized Lucio might be going unconscious. "Lucio, stay with me now, don't drift off..."

His voice was level, but he was shaking, a million feelings hitting him at once. He was sure when it happened, but at some point he picked up the phone. His hand was still shaking as he dialed the number.

"Nine one one, what's your emergency?"

"Please... Don't let him leave me."