eight

⁀➷

⁀➷

No matter how thick someone's armor was, the truth would always hit hard. Florence was good at prying apart the lies from the truth. It came with the ability to discern what someone's intentions toward her were.

It was a shock when Melon-ball shifted into a naked man in her bathtub. It was a larger shock when she realized it was Captain America, who she learned a few weeks ago, was nowhere to be seen - according to the news, at least.

"Oh," she whispered, eyes wide as she stared at him with no humility.

He smiled sheepishly at her. He hadn't shaved, considering people seemed to recognize him more when he was cleanly shaved, so he wondered if she would have preferred a clean face over a beard.

"You're - oh."

"Surprise?" he questioned.

He was a soldier turned captain who always had a knack for mischief. Bucky would agree with that, having been the one to break apart many fights Steve started back in the day. He was never one to talk to women but grew confident when he began flirting with Sharon, so he couldn't help the tiny smirk on his face as Florence fanned herself in front of him.

"Got anything fresh I can wear?"

"Oh, I have some of my father's clothes, but I'm not sure if they'll fit you. He was much smaller than you. Can you settle for a big blanket?"

He smiled. "I can."

She stared at him for a moment more before rushing out to grab a blanket for him. She handed it to him and closed the toilet seat before sitting down on it.

"I - You - Melon-ball?" she questioned.

"Unless you know another Selkie that's been visiting you," he quipped.

"Funny, Captain," she retorted.

"Not a Captain anymore, I'm afraid."

There was a hint of sadness in his voice, and he could hear it as he said it. He had been a captain for years, but he threw it away - temporarily or not, he wasn't sure - to come back to her - to a woman who didn't even know what she was in for.

"Sorry," she murmured.

"It's okay."

"Werewolf?" she questioned shyly.

He knew what she meant by that. The world thought him to be a werewolf, and it was better that way. He was no Alpha as Bucky was. He was easy prey as a Selkie, so he had to cover his tracks.

"Lie," he answered. "For safety."

She nodded. "Right. And was I right to assume you imprinted on me?"

"You catch on quickly," he said, offering her a soft smile.

She snorted. "I'm not human, but I'm not exactly a Witch either. I've just got some good knowledge on this stuff."

"I know. You caught me off guard when I showed up," he recalled.

"Well, my mom had an inkling. She never told me about you or who you were. Just that a seal would show up one day. She never got into it because she didn't like witchcraft."

"Why not?" Steve pressed.

Florence looked down at her hands and clenched her hands together before letting go. "Because witchcraft involves dark magic, Captain, and it never leads to good things. Trust me, I would know."

"Call me Steve," he said instead, avoiding the other topic.

She offered a faint smile, but it wasn't quite convincing. "Okay, Steve."