five

⁀➷

⁀➷

She remembered the rainstorm that had taken her father away from her. She remembered how her mother stayed strong and wasn't fierce with her, but led her away from the window that allowed her to see the paramedics carrying her father into the ambulance on a stretcher.

Her mother hadn't fallen into an alcoholic trance or become a harlot. She became overprotective as if the same thing that happened to her husband would happen to her daughter.

Florence didn't even like rain. She blamed her father for his own death. She didn't hate him, but no one pressured him into going out in the midst of a rainstorm in order to catch fish for his family. She felt like a monster for blaming him, but it was true.

The rain hadn't washed away her negative thoughts or the memory of her near-dead father on a stretcher, hanging onto what little thread of life he had left. She would be left standing near the window like the little girl she used to be whenever there was rain.

There was no more dancing in the rain for Florence or her mother. While her mother was scarred, Florence was bitter.

Her mother disliked witchcraft because it took her own mother away from her. Florence's grandmother loved witchcraft, easily choosing it over her own daughter.

Florence wasn't allowed to do witchcraft, even with it running in her blood. She had the intuition of a Witch, but no real practice for it. For that, she was human and nothing more.

She loved her mother, but she felt trapped most times. She knew her mother meant well, and while she was no Mother Gothel, she came close.

When her mother told her of a seal who would show up at their doorstep one day, Florence found it odd yet intriguing. She thought seals to be cute, despite how deadly they could be.

Florence had never prayed a day in her life. She believed Heaven to be the worst place of all because of the angels' seemingly righteous opinions and big egos. She never remembered crying for the Devil when he was cast out of Heaven, and that was when she realized she was more Witch than human because she sided with who most people went against.

So when the life left her mother's lips, Florence believed her mother was sent to Heaven because she sided with those most evil.