three

⁀➷

⁀➷

Steve in his seal form visited Florence each day. The world thought he was a Werewolf, not a Selkie. No one would suspect a seal to be Captain America. He wanted to rest and not fight anymore. After returning the stones four years ago, he came back to the present and was simply a hero again. It was the same routine, except S.H.I.E.L.D. branched into creature protection services and Nick Fury was hidden somewhere, doing God knew what with his free time.

Steve believed he was flawed, but it was an odd thing to blame on God since God worked with the Devil. He learned after the ice that if humans could be so flawed, it was the fault of the one below and the one up high. Steve had been through too much. He lost too much, and he hadn't seen Bucky in a year now. Steve hoped retirement was treating him all right.

Steve barked, sitting on the doorstep to Florence's little house. The door opened and she smiled, clutching down to grab him and carry him. She was in the middle of making her bed.

"Did you get fatter?" she questioned.

It's muscle, Steve thought.

She squeezed him. "Fat."

Steve rubbed his wet nose against her shoulder.

"Ew! Melon-ball, that's not very nice," she scolded.

She knew he was a Selkie, but she never bothered to ask for his name because she didn't want him to reveal his human form until he wanted to. She decided to call him Melon-ball just for the kick of it.

She set him down in her bathtub as usual and sat next to him on the tiles, leaning against the edge of the tub.

"I was making the bed," she said. "I love fresh sheets. I think I'll go out into town for a walk today later."

Steve barked.

"I still don't know what that means. Are you staying for dinner today?"

He nodded.

Florence smiled, reaching over to pat the top of his head. "Okay."

She retracted her hand, and the two simply stared at each other. She found his large, black eyes to be adorable. The two could stare at each other for hours and no words would be needed.

"Do you want me to buy fish or will you hunt?"

He tilted his head to the side.

"Sorry. One bark for buying fish, two barks for hunting," she clarified.

He barked once.

"Okay, Melon-ball, you lazy seal."