Twenty seven

"Maybe he's making this shit up", Clint suggested. He strolled over to where Nat and Emil had sat down on a rock. Emil was fidgeting with his blue blade, watching dully as the stones on the hilt shone in the red sunlight.

"I don't think so", Nat murmured. Emil nodded in agreement at her statement. Clint scoffed.

"Why? Because he knew your mommy's and daddies' names?"

"I didn't". Nat and Emil both spoke at the same time. They shared a soft glance, recognising the cons of being raised an assassin.

Emilia. Emil turned the name over in his head. He didn't know much about his mother. She was more of a incubator than a person. An agent to provide the other half of his DNA and carry him for nine months. She died, or was killed after he was born and her existence erased. He was supposed to be a secret. Emil didn't know what she looked like, or how old she was. He had a suspicion that she was European, had read his nationality in his file, but it could be false.

He did know one thing now. He was named after her. Emil. Emilia. He had researched his name before, knowing that it was the only thing his mother had ever given him. It was Latin. It meant excellent. Pretty fitting for a bred soldier. He wondered if that was her intention. If she knew what he had grown up to be.

"Thanos left here with the stone", Nat'e voice disturbed Emil from his thoughts. "And without his daughter. It can't be a coincidence". Clint stopped his pacing and gazed out into the rising red sun.

"Whatever it takes", Emil whispered as he pushed himself to his feet. He sheathed his blade and stared down at his gloved hands.

"Whatever it takes", Nat echoed softly to herself.

"Whatever it takes", Clint stared firmly.

Nat stood up and crossed over to stand in front of Clint. "If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead". She turned as Emil walked over to join them in a close circle. His big blue eyes were afraid. She took his hand gently, squeezing his fingers.

Clint sighed and glanced at the cliff edge. "I guess we all know who's it's gotta be". Nat and Emil both nodded resolutely. Emil didn't notice Nat's gaze flit over his face for half a second before steeling, becoming firm with resolve. Clint reached out with both his hands. Nat and Emil both grasped them gently but also like they were a lifeline. All three people joined in a circle as they all thought different things.

"I'm starting to think we all mean different people here Natasha, Emil". Clint's voice was hard. He rarely called Nat by her full name and he always referred to Emil as 'kid' or 'teen'.

Nat drew a shaky breath. "The past five years have been about getting to right here. Getting to here and bringing everybody back". Her grip on their hands tightened.

Clint smiled dryly. "Now don't you be getting all descent on me now".

"Do you think I want to do it? I'm trying to save your life you idiot".

"Well I don't want you too, so how about that?"

"Please don't". Nat and Clint both turned to face Emil. He was shaking slightly and his eye were watery. "I should do it".

"No kid", Clint sighed deeply like the thought caused him pain. This whole situation was painful.

"Why not?" Emil challenged, voice firm despite his fragile gaze. "I was not even supposed to exist. Did you know how many infants they created that died under the tests?" He asked. "Thirty four. Thirty four babies died before the tests worked and I got my powers. It was supposed to be impossible. I was never supposed to live".