Twelve

The ship touched down on the land outside the avengers facility. Steve, Natasha, Banner, Rhody and Pepper hurried towards it. Captain Marvel, or Carol Danvers turned and gave them a smile as she gently lowered the ship onto the grass. After a few minutes, the landing doors opened with a creak and two figures began walking down the steps.

"Tony!" Steve ran towards the bottom of the steps. He caught him by the shoulders as Stark stumbled and supported him as he walked forwards.

"I couldn't stop him", Tony said.

"Well, neither could I", Steve replied grimly. They both stopped walking and stared at each other. Both sets of eyes held pain.

"We need a a Doctor", Stark commanded loudly through laboured breaths. Steve turned to face the person behind him. Nebula was walking down the steps carrying Emil in her arms. "I lost the kid", Stark admitted. Steve's heart sunk. "And Emil is dying".

"Oh god, Emil. Rhodes!" Steve called. Immediately Rhodes ran forward, taking Steve's place at Tony's side. Steve crossed to Nebula and Emil. He looked down at Emil's sunken, pale face in panic. "How is he?"

"He's going into organ failure", Nebula answered. She passed Emil gently into Steve's arms. The man was surprised at how light the kid was. He could see every bone under his exposed skin. He turned around, running back into the facility with Natasha hot on his heels.

"We need to get him into intensive care now!" He couldn't let Emil die, not when he had lost Bucky. Not when they had lost so much.

Nebula stood on the grass, watching as everyone headed inside. Silently Rocket walked up to her. His tiny paw gripped her hand and she looked down. Upon seeing her eyes, the raccoon squeezed his hand gently. She squeezed back.

Steve rushed into the medical unit. Setting Emil down on the nearest bed, he began rummaging around the room. A few steps behind, Natasha sprinted into the room. She began hurriedly hooking Emil up to machines. Soon the slow beeping of a heart monitor could be heard. Steve retuned to Emil's side and began injecting various drugs and chemicals into Emil's bloodstream.

"He's still crashing", Natasha said as the beeping began to go wildly out of control.

"Damn it", Steve swore. "It's not working. Why is it not working?"

"He has no energy", Stark's voice drifted through the doorway. Pepper lead him through with a hand on his back towards a second empty bed. He grunted as he sat down. Pepper helped him pull his feet up onto the mattress.

"Talk!" Steve commanded. Natasha had gotten the paddles out. Steve was starting chest compressions.

"Clear!" she shouted as she pressed them to Emil's chest. His body jumped. The beeping slowed down and everyone breathed a sigh in relief.

"Basically Emil is a living battery", Tony explained through laboured breaths. Peppa and Rhodes were fitting him with a drip. "Ow!" he exclaimed as they jabbed him with a needle. "He takes in energy from his surroundings and stores it in his body. This allows him to teleport and shoot energy from his finger tips".

"The point?" Steve interrupted. Luckily Emil was becoming stable and he was able to turn and look Stark in the eyes. But there was no telling when Emil would start crashing again. The boy was hanging on a knifes edge.

"He used up all his energy. All of it. His body is shutting down. We need to freeze him to buy his body time to recharge". Stark grunted as Pepper injected something into the vein of his arm. She shushed him with a peck on the cheek.

"What? For how long?" Steve asked.

"Until he's recharged".

Unedited.